From: Ken Tough on
george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>You understand wrong. An AA filter (a very simple blurring filter) is
>required by Bayers, but not by any camera with full color photosites
>like Foveon or 3-CCD/CMOS.

Are you really such a whacko, or just a troll with an incredible
amount of time on your hands?

Anti-aliasing is required by the digitisation process. Even the
odd-ball foveon sensor produces digital output. (I don't know of
any analog electronic still cameras).

Digitising an image requires sampling by an array of sensors, whether
it's in a Bayer pattern or the foveon attempt. The sampling process
requires anti-aliasing so that spatial frequency information which
exceeds the spatial sampling frequency, is eliminated. If it isn't
eliminated, it leads to aliasing artifacts like moire.

So even your foveon-based camera has an AA filter.

Every time you post, your credibility goes one more delta along
the exponential towards 0.

--
Ken Tough
From: David J Taylor on
Ken Tough wrote:
> george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> You understand wrong. An AA filter (a very simple blurring filter)
>> is required by Bayers, but not by any camera with full color
>> photosites like Foveon or 3-CCD/CMOS.
>
> Are you really such a whacko, or just a troll with an incredible
> amount of time on your hands?

Experience of his/her previous postings suggests the latter. Perhaps
both, though!

> Anti-aliasing is required by the digitisation process. Even the
> odd-ball foveon sensor produces digital output. (I don't know of
> any analog electronic still cameras).
>
> Digitising an image requires sampling by an array of sensors, whether
> it's in a Bayer pattern or the foveon attempt. The sampling process
> requires anti-aliasing so that spatial frequency information which
> exceeds the spatial sampling frequency, is eliminated. If it isn't
> eliminated, it leads to aliasing artifacts like moire.
>
> So even your foveon-based camera has an AA filter.

Apparently, the earlier Sigma SD9 camera relied on poor lens MTF as the
only anti-aliasing filter, which did no good for its image "quality", of
course.

David

From: Bart van der Wolf on

<george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> You understand wrong. An AA filter (a very simple blurring filter)
> is required by Bayers, but not by any camera with full color
> photosites like Foveon or 3-CCD/CMOS.

Which again demonstrates you ignorance (not that such reinforcement is
really needed).

ANY regular discrete sampling system will suffer from aliasing
artifacts if presented with signals of higher (in the case of sensors,
spatial) frequency than half the sampling density.

To put it into terms even you could grasp, any regular detail smaller
than 2 pixels will lead to aliasing artifacts (larger than actual
detail aliases, and with the wrong luminance).
It's a physical given, which can only be attenuated/eliminated by
pre-filtering the signal to remove the too high frequency content
*before* it reaches the sensor.

The only 'benefit' of the Foveon sensor array is that the aliasing
artifacts are achromatic in reconstruction of the Raw data so they may
be a bit less noticable (it won't prevent stairstepped diagonal lines
and things like line doubling artifacts).
Color fringing with Bayer CFA reconstruction can result from less
strict AA-filtering in the camera, combined with design choices in the
Raw converter when balancing between color accuracy and detail
enhancement. Different Raw converters will give different results,
even with post-processing of the same Raw file.

Bart

From: Bart van der Wolf on

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote in message
SNIP
> Apparently, the earlier Sigma SD9 camera relied on poor lens MTF as
> the only anti-aliasing filter, which did no good for its image
> "quality", of course.

And it's successor, the SD10, still didn't have an AA-filter. It did
correct some other design shortcomings of the SD9. It improved the
performance by adding microlenses to avoid the artifacts caused by the
SD9's very small fill factor (it behaved more like a point sampler
than an area sampler).

Bart

From: Bart van der Wolf on

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> SNIP of all your inaccuracies and lies
>>
>> Apparently leaves no text.
>
> What's the matter?

All you contribute to this newsgroup, is negative intelligence.
That's what's the matter.

Boy, it must suck being you.

Bart