From: JPS on
In message <1117594696.335653.87000(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>When a Bayer camera says "8MP" that means "8MP MONOCHROME", not 8M full
>color pixels.

It means neither. It means that 8M samples are taken, in three
different color bands, at a total of 8M 2D locations. This is not as
accurate as taking 24M samples in 8M 2D locations, but is much more
detailed than taking 8M samples in 2.66M 2D locations.

There is absolutely no reason why the three color samples have to be
taken at the same 2D location.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm>
From: Ken Tough on
JPS(a)no.komm wrote:

>george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>When a Bayer camera says "8MP" that means "8MP MONOCHROME", not 8M full
>>color pixels.
>
>It means neither. It means that 8M samples are taken, in three
>different color bands, at a total of 8M 2D locations. This is not as
>accurate as taking 24M samples in 8M 2D locations, but is much more
>detailed than taking 8M samples in 2.66M 2D locations.
>
>There is absolutely no reason why the three color samples have to be
>taken at the same 2D location.

In fact, one should consider the characteristics of typical images
to see which technique is best. In standard images, colours
changes gradually or at sharp edges, not in random 1 pixel patterns.
That means the interpolation provided by the Bayer filter will give
better resolution and more information where it's needed. It's
similar to things like image compression applying to typical images
but being useless on completely random noise patterns.

This "George Preddy" seems utterly desperate to rationalise his
purchase of a foveon sensor camera. He'd probably expend less
energy pulling his hair out if he just dumps it now and gets a
standard one before it's too late. But then again, he might be
the type who still drives a wankel engine car.

--
Ken Tough
From: Black Nikon on
With the first photo's your are indeed oversharping, but the rest is okay.

Eric

From: george_preddy on
Ken Tough wrote:
> JPS(a)no.komm wrote:
>
> >george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> >>When a Bayer camera says "8MP" that means "8MP MONOCHROME", not 8M full
> >>color pixels.
> >
> >It means neither. It means that 8M samples are taken, in three
> >different color bands, at a total of 8M 2D locations. This is not as
> >accurate as taking 24M samples in 8M 2D locations, but is much more
> >detailed than taking 8M samples in 2.66M 2D locations.
> >
> >There is absolutely no reason why the three color samples have to be
> >taken at the same 2D location.

The point is they have to be taken. Bayer hardly takes any color
samples given their phony monochrome MP ratings. Listing monochrome
MPs is a scam. There are NO WHERE NEAR enough color samples taken with
a Bayer sensor to support the advertised color MPs.

> That means the interpolation provided by the Bayer filter will give
> better resolution and more information where it's needed.

Interpolation never adds optical resolution.

Try it for yourself, download a satellite picture of the world and
interpolatively upscale it using Photshop. Make it a bigger and bigger
image until you can actually see yourself smiling in the picture.

Obviously, inserting interpolated digital placeholders into an image
(upscaling) never improves optical resolution. Not an iota, ever.

Bayer DSLRs are characteristically blurry and soft because the true
optical resolution is the resolution of each, individual, tiny,
subdivided, R, G, or B exposure, not the 400% interpolatively upscaled
version, which is required to topologically align and overlay the
three, due to their imbalanced size.

From: JPS on
In message <1117934606.605577.297030(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
george_preddy(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>The point is they have to be taken. Bayer hardly takes any color
>samples given their phony monochrome MP ratings. Listing monochrome
>MPs is a scam. There are NO WHERE NEAR enough color samples taken with
>a Bayer sensor to support the advertised color MPs.

They're not advertised as recording "color megapixels".

>Interpolation never adds optical resolution.
>
>Try it for yourself, download a satellite picture of the world and
>interpolatively upscale it using Photshop. Make it a bigger and bigger
>image until you can actually see yourself smiling in the picture.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone arguing with you knows that you can't get
more detail by upscaling a bitmap. De-mosaicing Bayer data is nothing
like upscaling a bitmap, because some aspect of every pixel output is
real and measured. If you quadrupled *that* (like 25.2MP from a 10D),
then *that* would add no detail. Rendering it at 6.3MP does not
"upscale" the image. Making a 14MP image in SPP, of course, *IS* the
same thing as your satellite image example.

>Obviously, inserting interpolated digital placeholders into an image
>(upscaling) never improves optical resolution. Not an iota, ever.

That is not what is happening. Why can't you get anything right?

>Bayer DSLRs are characteristically blurry and soft because the true
>optical resolution is the resolution of each, individual, tiny,
>subdivided, R, G, or B exposure, not the 400% interpolatively upscaled
>version, which is required to topologically align and overlay the
>three, due to their imbalanced size.

The luminance, the most significant part of the capture, is not upscaled
at all. Red and blue resolution are upscaled to 200%, and green
resolution is upscaled 70.7%.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS(a)no.komm>