From: Bart van der Wolf on

<george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
SNIP
>> > Bayers record a 400% upscale by default, [...]
>>
>> Nonsense, again, as usual.
>
> Only if you were fooled into thinking a 1DMkII has 8MP of full color
> sensors.

But then you should know it, I assume/hope/doubt.
Upscaling has nothing, nada, zip, to do with it.

Like in any Bayer pattern filtered sensor array, each sensel captures
roughly 1/3rd of the human visible spectrum, due to color filters on
each sensel. Demosaicing interpolates 2/3rd of the chromaticity from
the contribution from several neighboring sensels, and complements the
luminocity.

> Most buyers, no doubt, were fooled like you.

And you base that assertion on ... personal experience?

> A 1DMkII only is only 8MP-monochrome, not 8MP-full-color.

Do you understand the difference between monochrome and a spectral
band? Apparently not.

> That's why it isn't competitive in terms of optical full color
> resolution with a 3.5MP-full-color Foveon image. See...
>
> http://www.pbase.com/sharpness

Why is the "Original 1D Mk II crop, as shot" the same size as the
"Downsized..." version?
More snake-oil from Steve Giovenella? Are you trying (in vain as
usual) to pull a preddy?

Bart

From: george_preddy on

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> > Only if you were fooled into thinking a 1DMkII has 8MP of full color
> > sensors.
>
> But then you should know it, I assume/hope/doubt.
> Upscaling has nothing, nada, zip, to do with it.

Except that there is only 2MP of full color information in the 8MP
recording.

> > A 1DMkII only is only 8MP-monochrome, not 8MP-full-color.
>
> Do you understand the difference between monochrome and a spectral
> band? Apparently not.

Bayer sensors are all strictly monochrome. A color has to be
interpolated by digitally overlaying many monochrome photosites.

> > That's why it isn't competitive in terms of optical full color
> > resolution with a 3.5MP-full-color Foveon image. See...
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/sharpness
>
> Why is the "Original 1D Mk II crop, as shot" the same size as the
> "Downsized..." version?

It's not. Duh.

From: Bart van der Wolf on

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
SNIP
>> Do you understand the difference between monochrome and
>>a spectral band? Apparently not.
>
> Bayer sensors are all strictly monochrome.

Which again proves my point, you seem clueless.

Bart

From: george_preddy on

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> SNIP
> >> Do you understand the difference between monochrome and
> >>a spectral band? Apparently not.
> >
> > Bayer sensors are all strictly monochrome.
>
> Which again proves my point, you seem clueless.

But you really are. You learned something today.

When a Bayer camera says "8MP" that means "8MP MONOCHROME", not 8M full
color pixels. I can't believe you didn't know that.

From: Bart van der Wolf on

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> <george_preddy(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> SNIP
>> >
>> > Bayer sensors are all strictly monochrome.
>>
>> Which again proves my point, you seem clueless.
>
> But you really are. You learned something today.
>
> When a Bayer camera says "8MP" that means "8MP MONOCHROME", not 8M
> full
> color pixels. I can't believe you didn't know that.

It was already clear that you don't understand the difference between
monochrome (single color), and spectral band. Each sensel is natively
sensitive to a spectrum of roughly 350 to 1000 nm, and filters
restrict that to 3 (sometimes 4) slightly overlapping spectral bands.

Bart