From: RichA on
Nikon did an impressive thing, came back from way behind Canon a few
years back to take arguably the number 1 spot in-terms of
performance. But, because they've refused to augment new models at
lower prices with the same attributes of newer Canons, they are losing
the ground they'd gained. They still produce the lowest noise
professional camera, but they lack a lower price high megapixel
camera, and a lower priced high megapixel FF camera. In addition, the
mid-level is aging and needs replacement.
From: Peter on
"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Nikon did an impressive thing, came back from way behind Canon a few
> years back to take arguably the number 1 spot in-terms of
> performance. But, because they've refused to augment new models at
> lower prices with the same attributes of newer Canons, they are losing
> the ground they'd gained. They still produce the lowest noise
> professional camera, but they lack a lower price high megapixel
> camera, and a lower priced high megapixel FF camera. In addition, the
> mid-level is aging and needs replacement.

So buy the low noise professional model.

--
Peter

From: RichA on
On Apr 24, 8:34 am, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> "RichA" <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Nikon did an impressive thing, came back from way behind Canon a few
> > years back to take arguably the number 1 spot in-terms of
> > performance.  But, because they've refused to augment new models at
> > lower prices with the same attributes of newer Canons, they are losing
> > the ground they'd gained.  They still produce the lowest noise
> > professional camera, but they lack a lower price high megapixel
> > camera, and a lower priced high megapixel FF camera.  In addition, the
> > mid-level is aging and needs replacement.
>
> So buy the low noise professional model.
>
> --
> Peter

Though I love the pro Nikon bodies for their egonomics, I think the
days of huge pro cameras are coming to an end.
From: peter on
On 4/24/2010 11:37 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Apr 24, 8:34 am, "Peter"<peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>> "RichA"<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Nikon did an impressive thing, came back from way behind Canon a few
>>> years back to take arguably the number 1 spot in-terms of
>>> performance. But, because they've refused to augment new models at
>>> lower prices with the same attributes of newer Canons, they are losing
>>> the ground they'd gained. They still produce the lowest noise
>>> professional camera, but they lack a lower price high megapixel
>>> camera, and a lower priced high megapixel FF camera. In addition, the
>>> mid-level is aging and needs replacement.
>>
>> So buy the low noise professional model.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
> Though I love the pro Nikon bodies for their egonomics, I think the
> days of huge pro cameras are coming to an end.

So either buy quickly, or go without.

--
Peter
From: Nomen Nescio on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Nikon did an impressive thing, came back from way behind Canon a few
> years back to take arguably the number 1 spot in-terms of
> performance. But, because they've refused to augment new models at
> lower prices with the same attributes of newer Canons, they are losing
> the ground they'd gained. They still produce the lowest noise
> professional camera, but they lack a lower price high megapixel
> camera, and a lower priced high megapixel FF camera. In addition, the
> mid-level is aging and needs replacement.

Virtually all experts say that megapixels aren't really all that important.
Sony has a couple "high megapixel" dSLR that don't perform that well against
Nikon or Canon. In the pro market Nikon D3x vs. Canon 1Ds mk.III are about
equal. Need any more than that, then you really should look into
medium-format.

For an average hobbyist, why do you need more than 12 mp?