From: Joe on
When I boot the computer, it brings me to user profile page that displays
correctly. When I chose a profile loads and the screen is blank other than
the desktop wallpaper. No Task bar, start button, icons, nothing but
wallpaper. The only way to access the system is through control-alt-delete
and choose "new task". From new task I can access all programs, even can
choose desktop and it shows the desktop icons that you can open.

I tried reloading Win XP Home Edition but get a message that there isn't
enough disk space. I tried Disk Claen-up and Disk Defrag but it dosen't
solve the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
From: Bob I on
After the Windows Logo displays or after you log on to Windows, a
Windows XP-based computer may only display the wallpaper, a black
screen, or a blue screen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318027

From: Joe on
After the Windows Logo, I get my selected wallpaper. I get no task bar, no
start button, no icons. The only way to access the system is through
control-alt-delete and choose "new task".
--
Joe

From: Paul on
Joe wrote:
> After the Windows Logo, I get my selected wallpaper. I get no task bar, no
> start button, no icons. The only way to access the system is through
> control-alt-delete and choose "new task".

Is there any possibility, your computer thinks it is driving two monitors ?
Do you have a TV connected to a mini-DIN connector or the like ?

You could try moving the monitor cable to the other video card connector.

If this is a computer with integrated (motherboard) graphics chip, it
may be more difficult to figure out where the alternate graphics
outputs would go.

If you can navigate there, try the Display control panel (right-click
in the blank desktop), then check the graphics configuration to see
if there are two display screens shown. It could be, your monitor
is the right hand half of some kind of dual display setup.

http://www.bartneck.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/10-9-2009_13-58-20.png

Paul

From: PaulM on
Give this script a try, FixShell. You can download it here:

http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21

--
Paul's XP and Vista Help
www.paulsxp.com