From: Jim on
I recently replaced a failed motherboard with an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
board. Only one unexpected surprise - no audio.

Figured no big deal I'll just use the supplied drivers disc. XP however
says it can't find the drivers. Figuring I may have an imperfect disc I
went to the Asrock website and downloaded the available drivers. Still
no sound.

Audio is a Realtek ALC662 Anyone know how to get XP to recognize Windows
drivers?

System is dual boot with PCLinuxOS 2009.2 where the onboard audio plays
just fine.
From: Dave C. on
On 28 Sep 2009 22:41:41 GMT
Jim <chief_jim(a)go.nospam.com> wrote:

> I recently replaced a failed motherboard with an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
> board. Only one unexpected surprise - no audio.
>
> Figured no big deal I'll just use the supplied drivers disc. XP however
> says it can't find the drivers. Figuring I may have an imperfect disc I
> went to the Asrock website and downloaded the available drivers. Still
> no sound.
>
> Audio is a Realtek ALC662 Anyone know how to get XP to recognize Windows
> drivers?
>
> System is dual boot with PCLinuxOS 2009.2 where the onboard audio plays
> just fine.

OK, first... are the drivers *for* XP specifically? Second, are they the right bit-width? That is, are you installing 32-bit drivers on a 32-bit OS?

Next thing you need to do is go to Control panel and check all devices *by IRQ*. See what is sharing IRQ with your sound card and temporarily disable or physically remove that. -Dave

--
Dave C. <noway(a)nohow.never>
From: Paul on
Jim wrote:
> I recently replaced a failed motherboard with an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2
> board. Only one unexpected surprise - no audio.
>
> Figured no big deal I'll just use the supplied drivers disc. XP however
> says it can't find the drivers. Figuring I may have an imperfect disc I
> went to the Asrock website and downloaded the available drivers. Still
> no sound.
>
> Audio is a Realtek ALC662 Anyone know how to get XP to recognize Windows
> drivers?
>
> System is dual boot with PCLinuxOS 2009.2 where the onboard audio plays
> just fine.

I have that board. 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0.

Right now, I have both the onboard RealTek HDAudio installed, as well
as a separate sound card (CMI8738 PCI based). I can switch between then,
using the controls in the Sound control panel. Right now the CMI8738
is my sound card, but occasionally I switch over to the RealTek for
some comparison testing.

If I go to Start:Run, run "msinfo32.exe", select Components, then Sound, I get...

Name CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Manufacturer C-Media
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011113F6&REV_10\4&172FB5D3&0&3899
I/O Port 0x0000E800-0x0000E8FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cmaudio.sys
(5.12.01.0639, 370.83 KB
(379,726 bytes), 1/15/2009 5:41 PM)

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Manufacturer Realtek
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_18490662&REV_1001\4&3545F069&2&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkhdaud.sys
(5.10.0.5928 built by: WinDDK, 5.62 MB
(5,891,584 bytes), 9/14/2009 3:19 AM)

The PCI sound card uses an IRQ. I don't see one for HDAudio.

Check the BIOS, to make sure the HDAudio is turned on. (I only
turned mine on recently.) WinXP can handle having multiple
sound devices turned on, but likes to select one of them
as the Primary device. That is what the Sound control panel
is for.

*******

I got a RealTek driver here. Two weeks ago, release R232 was being offered.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

The download is 30,914,690 bytes for the one I got. Their servers
are slow, so you may want to walk away from the computer, while it
downloads. The Asrock download could just be a copy of one of those.

Inside, you'll find it consists of two parts. The MSHDQFE folder
contains "kb888111xpsp1.exe". The purpose of me identifying that
part of the installer, is to point out that Microsoft issued an
important part of your HDAudio solution, in KnowledgeBase article
888111.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

If you were to actually download something from the 888111 web page,
it would contain support for 25 languages and three different service
pack levels. You would end up using a little over 1% of your download,
to good effect. So that is pretty wasteful.

The RealTek installer, includes a copy of UAA for you. It is the
English version only. The other 24 languages are missing.

kb888111w2ksp4.exe
kb888111xpsp1.exe
kb888111xpsp2.exe

Notice something ? There is no version for WinXP SP3. The SP3 service
pack already has 888111 bundled with it. If you have SP1 or SP2,
then the RealTek installer should use the appropriate file.

If you look in Device Manager, under "System Devices", and 888111 was
installed, you'd see

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

(Driver = hdaudbus.sys)

The other part of the solution, is the RealTek specific part. The installer
has a WDM folder. There are INF files in there, and one entry in one
INF file, should match the characteristics of the 662. (It could be,
the match was against HDARt.inf.)

Now, if that part was to install, you'd see a device in the
Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. There would be a
"Realtek High Definition Audio". The driver list is extensive,
and consists of both Windows elements and Realtek files.
The "RtkHDAud.sys" is an example of just one of the files.

Anyway, that is an overview.

Enable the BIOS setting for HDAudio.

Unzip the RealTek downloaded ZIP file. (Even Windows has a built-in
unzip function in its folder view capabilities.)

Drill down until you see "setup.exe".

Double click setup.exe to install the driver.

If you have problems, please report what you see
in Device Manager.

Mine went in, no problemo. I had WinXP SP3 already,
and installed the RealTek R232 driver on that. People
do have problems with RealTek, and if it doesn't work
out, report any error messages or yellow marks you
see in Device Manager.

The file "setupapi.log" on your C: drive, contains
info on attempts to install drivers.

HTH,
Paul
From: Jess on
JIM,

I had the same problem for the past few days. But now, i've
succesfully fixed the problem. Here's what to do:

1. Download kb888111.exe
2. download Microsoft UAA Bus driver for HD audio
3. Download a compatible audio driver.
4. extract and install everything
5.If a message appear after installing your "audio driver(no. 3)"
saying that your HDA bus driver is missing, go to control panel >>
system>>hardware>> device manager>> look for PCI device with yellow
icon.>> reinstall driver (and follow onscreen instruction)
6. reinstall the audio driver.

Hope this help.. goodluck..

jess