From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) on
I have an old HP Pavilion PC model hp4088hk.

With USB Legacy Support enabled in the BIOS, and the printer powered on
and connected to the PC, WinXP stopped at the boot loader prompt.

I needed to either unplug the USB printer, or disable USB Legacy Support
in the BIOS, in order to enter WinXP.

Note that USB Legacy Support is required to use USB keyboard and mouse.

SO what's wrong here?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.8
From: nospam on
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)" <toylet.toylet(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:ha4os2$l94$2(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> I have an old HP Pavilion PC model hp4088hk.
>
> With USB Legacy Support enabled in the BIOS, and the printer powered on
> and connected to the PC, WinXP stopped at the boot loader prompt.

What does stopped mean? The system is hung completely? Does it
respond to keyboard input at that point (e.g. does pressing CapsLock
turn on the CapsLock light)?

> I needed to either unplug the USB printer, or disable USB Legacy Support
> in the BIOS, in order to enter WinXP.
>
> Note that USB Legacy Support is required to use USB keyboard and mouse.
>
> SO what's wrong here?

Check the system bios for another option, to choose between
BIOS and OS control of the USB ports. Set it to OS.

From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) on
>> With USB Legacy Support enabled in the BIOS, and the printer powered on
>> and connected to the PC, WinXP stopped at the boot loader prompt.
>
> What does stopped mean? The system is hung completely? Does it
> respond to keyboard input at that point (e.g. does pressing CapsLock
> turn on the CapsLock light)?

Yes, a total freeze! The keyboard didn't respond.

>> I needed to either unplug the USB printer, or disable USB Legacy Support
>> in the BIOS, in order to enter WinXP.
> Check the system bios for another option, to choose between
> BIOS and OS control of the USB ports. Set it to OS.

NO such option.

The motherboard is an i915G one.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux 2.6.30.8
^ ^ 13:24:01 up 7 days 1:39 2 users load average: 1.34 1.27 1.27
From: "nobody >" on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:
>>> With USB Legacy Support enabled in the BIOS, and the printer powered on
>>> and connected to the PC, WinXP stopped at the boot loader prompt.
>>
>> What does stopped mean? The system is hung completely? Does it
>> respond to keyboard input at that point (e.g. does pressing CapsLock
>> turn on the CapsLock light)?
>
> Yes, a total freeze! The keyboard didn't respond.
>
>>> I needed to either unplug the USB printer, or disable USB Legacy Support
>>> in the BIOS, in order to enter WinXP.
>> Check the system bios for another option, to choose between
>> BIOS and OS control of the USB ports. Set it to OS.
>
> NO such option.
>
> The motherboard is an i915G one.

You may have problems with the onboard USB ports. There have been
reports of motherboards with weak power to the USB.

USB PCI cards are cheap, and have cured various USB problems for many
folks. Use the ports on the card for your printer/etc, but keep the
keyboard and mouse plugged into the muddaboad for BIOS control issues.
From: SunshinePC on
On Oct 3, 3:31 pm, "nobody >" <usenetharves...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> >> What does stopped mean?  The system is hung completely?  Does it
> >> respond to keyboard input at that point (e.g. does pressing CapsLock
> >> turn on the CapsLock light)?
>
> > Yes, a total freeze! The keyboard didn't respond.

> >> Check the system bios for another option, to choose between
> >> BIOS and OS control of the USB ports.  Set it to OS.
>
> > NO such option.
>
> > The motherboard is an i915G one.
>
> You may have problems with the onboard USB ports. There have been
> reports of motherboards with weak power to the USB.
>
> USB PCI cards are cheap, and have cured various USB problems for many
> folks. Use the ports on the card for your printer/etc, but keep the
> keyboard and mouse plugged into the muddaboad for BIOS control issues.- Hide quoted text -

Check CMOS setup and make sure hard drive is the first boot device.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: No audio
Next: Sprinkler Tee fitting stripped