From: yosoft on

Unplug and replug the HDD data cable and then turnon the comp and then
go to the BIOS and then if your comp has a sata drive go to sata
operation and select the sata operation as AUTO/AHCI this works on most
of the cases!!!

--
yosoft
yosoft's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=49381

http://forums.techarena.in

From: nesredep egrob Long. -31,48.21 Lat. on
On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:57:14 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat.
115,47.40> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 May 2008 16:30:51 -0400, "Patrick Keenan" <test(a)dev.null> wrote:
>
>>"Deanna" <Deanna(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> My computer was on and i was away from it and i guess it tried to reboot
>>> itself which has never happened before.
>>>
>>> It then said "not a system disk" so i put in my XP System Recovery disk in
>>> to try and just get windows going again....and pressed a key. It then
>>> said
>>> " No hard disk found"
>>>
>>> Does this mean my hard drive is fried? Not sure what caused it but it is
>>> an
>>> older computer. Is there any way to save it?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help :(
>>
>>If your system has SATA hard disks, the message can mean that the driver
>>isn't installed.
>>
>>Regardless, your best effort at this point would be to back up your data.
>>Simply remove the drive from your system, attach it to another (perhaps
>>using a USB2 drive case) XP system with enough drive space, and copy the
>>files off.
>>
>>HTH
>>-pk
>>

>Sorry about this but my Intel motherboard with no SATA disk was still giving the
>messsage - "no disks found" and I have floppy I need to use - it is marked
>IT8212 ATAPI. To use that I have to hit F6 early in the setup. I then get the
>chance to use that floppie - later in the installation I need the Raid Driver
>and if I install any further SATA's I still need to use the first floppie again.
>
>So it is the motherboard that needs to know in the first place.
>
>B|rge in sunny Perth, Australia

In addition, I have looked at the BIOS and find that SATA is seen and the
message is SATA AHCI MODE ENABLED but that message is greyed so presumeably it
is the use of the floppies that has impressed the message on the BIOS and the
fact that the SATA Raid is installed that made it go grey.

From: Deanna on

Thank you all for your help !!!

I tried a couple of the suggestions (except unplugging cables which i'll
try tonight) and I am actually not that literate when it comes to checking
BIos and all that, in fact i didn't know what the heck you were saying lol
...however...

I did the DEL thing when it starts up and got into the Bios thingy. I have
two choices BIOS and CMOS. I went into both of them and eventually found the
place where you change which drive it boots from first. It is booting from
my cd drive first. I put in the Windows XP Recovery Disk and it says "Not a
system disk". Do I have the right one? It says right on it "to restore your
operating system". I'm thinking my cd drive or the actual disk is a problem
now. My floppy(A) is totally uslesss so i can't use it for any reason. I
also went in and changed it to boot up from HDD 0, HDD1, HDD2 and HDD3.
Nothing worked. I went in to one of the options where it says" check hard
drive" and did that. It said it was checking then nothing happened after.

I didn't see anything about SATA and I explored for a while. I'm afraid to
change anything else as i am not exactly a programmer ! Although anything
would be better than what i have now, which is NO windows.

"
From: nesredep egrob Long. -31,48.21 Lat. on
On Sat, 17 May 2008 07:27:00 -0700, Deanna <Deanna(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thank you all for your help !!!
>
> I tried a couple of the suggestions (except unplugging cables which i'll
>try tonight) and I am actually not that literate when it comes to checking
>BIos and all that, in fact i didn't know what the heck you were saying lol
>..however...
>
>I did the DEL thing when it starts up and got into the Bios thingy. I have
>two choices BIOS and CMOS. I went into both of them and eventually found the
>place where you change which drive it boots from first. It is booting from
>my cd drive first. I put in the Windows XP Recovery Disk and it says "Not a
>system disk". Do I have the right one? It says right on it "to restore your
>operating system". I'm thinking my cd drive or the actual disk is a problem
>now. My floppy(A) is totally uslesss so i can't use it for any reason. I
>also went in and changed it to boot up from HDD 0, HDD1, HDD2 and HDD3.
>Nothing worked. I went in to one of the options where it says" check hard
>drive" and did that. It said it was checking then nothing happened after.
>
>I didn't see anything about SATA and I explored for a while. I'm afraid to
>change anything else as i am not exactly a programmer ! Although anything
>would be better than what i have now, which is NO windows.

Be careful - do not change but have a look at ADVANCED/DRIVE CONFIG. Click on
that and you should see SATA configuration and see if it is set or as in my case
greyed.

B|rge in sunny Perth, Australia
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2