From: Jose on
On Jan 29, 7:49 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 3:37 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> >> I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
> >> and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
> >> the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.
>
> > Sounds like Hibernation use to work okay?
>
> > What do you think has changed since the last time Hibernation worked?
> > Any hardware/software updates lately?
>
> > Misbehaving Hibernation is often a video driver that needs updating.
> > If you need help with that, do this:
>
> > Please provide additional information about your system:
>
> > Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
> > msinfo32
>
> > Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
> > All, Copy and then paste the information back here.
>
> > There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
> > Name), and whatever appears to
> > be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
> > information.
>
> > This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
>
> > For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
> > click Edit, Select All, Copy and also paste that information.
>
> Thank you for the thoughts, Jose, but the only changes
> I've made were to try to reset the options within the
> Power Options section.
>
> I tried one thing and it brought the Hibernate option
> back, believe it or not. I restarted the system and
> allowed it to do chkdsk/r upon restart. I don't know
> what it found or fixed, but the Hibernate option is
> now back!!!!
>
> I'll let it run for a day or two before I report back on
> how it's playing. In the meanwhile, I think the "It ain't broke
> so don't fix it" philosophy might be appropriate.

Good job.

When chkdsk runs automatically on a reboot, the results are shown in
the Event Viewer Application
log sourced by Winlogon.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Something like this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

39070048 KB total disk space.
25151976 KB in 78653 files.
48256 KB in 10264 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
237080 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
13632736 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
3408184 allocation units available on disk.

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

If it was me and something seems to have gone awry and fixed itself, I
would feel better after this:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
From: Twayne on
In news:12309929-239b-442b-b538-ba7017c9b048(a)e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com,
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> On Jan 29, 7:49 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> Jose wrote:
>>> On Jan 28, 3:37 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
> enter:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
>
> Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

Actually, all you have to enter is: eventvwr.msc /s
system32 is normally already in the Path.

HTH,

Twayne

From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> [...]
> The type of the file system is NTFS.
>
> 39070048 KB total disk space.
> 25151976 KB in 78653 files.
> 48256 KB in 10264 indexes.
> 0 KB in bad sectors.
> 237080 KB in use by the system.
> 65536 KB occupied by the log file.
> 13632736 KB available on disk.
>
> 4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
> 9767512 total allocation units on disk.
> 3408184 allocation units available on disk.
>
> Windows has finished checking your disk.
> Please wait while your computer restarts.
>
> If it was me and something seems to have gone awry and fixed itself, I
> would feel better after this:
>
> Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
> detection programs:
>
> Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
> SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> They can be uninstalled later if desired.
Thanks, Jose. I went and looked at the event viewer......
like about 100 items over the past two days.......
I found the Winlogon and it certainly did find
a number of "inconsistencies" that it fixed!!!

And I will try the MBAM and SAS you suggested.
And thanks again.
Bill Lurie
From: Jose on
On Jan 29, 12:24 pm, "Twayne" <nob...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
> Innews:12309929-239b-442b-b538-ba7017c9b048(a)e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com,
> Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> typed:> On Jan 29, 7:49 am, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> > A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
> > enter:
>
> > %SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
>
> > Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

> Actually, all you have to enter is:    eventvwr.msc /s
>   system32 is normally already in the Path.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne

On most systems, that is true.

On some systems that will not work. If system32 is not in the path...

My suggestion increases the chances of launching the Event Viewer on
systems that are not configured like yours and mine. You know... the
abnormal ones.

I have never seen my suggestion not work, but have seen the other
method not work, therefore I no even suggest that method since it has
a chance of not working resulting in additional and often trivial
message exchanges.

I try to post the suggestions that have the highest probability of
success in the majority of situations with the fewest number of
message exchanges.
From: Jose on
On Jan 29, 3:35 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Jose wrote:
> >> Thank you for the thoughts, Jose, but the only changes
> >> I've made were to try to reset the options within the
> >> Power Options section.
>
> >> I tried one thing and it brought the Hibernate option
> >> back, believe it or not. I restarted the system and
> >> allowed it to do chkdsk/r upon restart. I don't know
> >> what it found or fixed, but the Hibernate option is
> >> now back!!!!
>
> >> I'll let it run for a day or two before I report back on
> >> how it's playing. In the meanwhile, I think the "It ain't broke
> >> so don't fix it" philosophy might be appropriate.
>
> > Good job.
>
> > When chkdsk runs automatically on a reboot, the results are shown in
> > the Event Viewer Application
> > log sourced by Winlogon.
>
> > To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
> > Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.
>
> > A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
> > enter:
>
> > %SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
>
> > Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.
>
> > Something like this:
>
> > Event Type:        Information
> > Event Source:      Winlogon
> > Event Category:    None
> > Event ID:  1001
> > Checking file system on C:
> > The type of the file system is NTFS.
>
> >   39070048 KB total disk space.
> >   25151976 KB in 78653 files.
> >      48256 KB in 10264 indexes.
> >          0 KB in bad sectors.
> >     237080 KB in use by the system.
> >      65536 KB occupied by the log file.
> >   13632736 KB available on disk.
>
> >       4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
> >    9767512 total allocation units on disk.
> >    3408184 allocation units available on disk.
>
> > Windows has finished checking your disk.
> > Please wait while your computer restarts.
>
> > If it was me and something seems to have gone awry and fixed itself, I
> > would feel better after this:
>
> > Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
> > detection programs:
>
> > Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
> > SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> > They can be uninstalled later if desired.
>
> Thanks, Jose. I went and looked at the event viewer......
> like about 100 items over the past two days.......
> I found the Winlogon and it certainly did find
> a number of "inconsistencies" that it fixed!!!
>
> And I will try the MBAM and SAS you suggested.
> And thanks again.
>    Bill Lurie

Good.

Here is some more info about the information in the Event Viewer if
things don't make sense:

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that
things are working okay and some are warnings.

No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event
means there is a serious issue.
Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to
find just the events at the date
and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information. On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The
third button that looks like
two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to
your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can
paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered),
then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the
time of your issue.