From: William B. Lurie on
I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.
From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
> and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
> the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.

Are you saying that the "Hibernate" tab is missing from the Power
Options dialog?
From: William B. Lurie on
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>> I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
>> and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
>> the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.
>
> Are you saying that the "Hibernate" tab is missing from the Power
> Options dialog?

Yes, exactly that.
From: Jose on
On Jan 28, 3:37 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
> and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
> the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.

Sounds like Hibernation use to work okay?

What do you think has changed since the last time Hibernation worked?
Any hardware/software updates lately?

Misbehaving Hibernation is often a video driver that needs updating.
If you need help with that, do this:

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
click Edit, Select All, Copy and also paste that information.
From: William B. Lurie on
Jose wrote:
> On Jan 28, 3:37 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> I reset the other options under Ctrl Panel>>Power Options
>> and now Hibernate has vanished. How do I reset it to have all
>> the basic options again? (Desktop system....). Thank you.
>
> Sounds like Hibernation use to work okay?
>
> What do you think has changed since the last time Hibernation worked?
> Any hardware/software updates lately?
>
> Misbehaving Hibernation is often a video driver that needs updating.
> If you need help with that, do this:
>
> Please provide additional information about your system:
>
> Click Start, Run and in the box enter:
>
> msinfo32
>
> Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
> All, Copy and then paste the information back here.
>
> There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
> Name), and whatever appears to
> be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted
> information.
>
> This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.
>
> For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display,
> click Edit, Select All, Copy and also paste that information.

Thank you for the thoughts, Jose, but the only changes
I've made were to try to reset the options within the
Power Options section.

I tried one thing and it brought the Hibernate option
back, believe it or not. I restarted the system and
allowed it to do chkdsk/r upon restart. I don't know
what it found or fixed, but the Hibernate option is
now back!!!!

I'll let it run for a day or two before I report back on
how it's playing. In the meanwhile, I think the "It ain't broke
so don't fix it" philosophy might be appropriate.