From: Paul on
sheana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use Windows Movie Maker to convert analog cassettes to
> .mp3 format. I have WindowsXP, and I need to have the "line in" option
> enabled in "Sounds & Audio Devices", under the audio tab. The only
> option I have is my default sound card...a SoundMax Digital Audio. Can
> you please tell me how to enable the "line in" option? Thanks in advance.

I have one of those. When the sound software is installed, there is a
SoundMax control panel. There should be an icon to start it, in the lower
right hand corner of your screen.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/ASUS_Striker_Extreme/Test/soundmax.jpg

Notice in that picture, that "Microphone" has a green dot underneath it.
That means Microphone is the current input choice. Click the dot underneath
"Line-In" in the Record section, to make Line-In the input.

You'll also notice there are two buttons with Line-In in the name, one in
the "Playback" section, and one in the "Record" section. The one in "Playback"
should allow you to listen through your computer speakers, as to what is happening.
The one in the "Record" section, is for recording. Play with both of
them, until you get the hang of it. The one in Record is the one you want,
to get this task done.

*******

In my copy of Windows Movie Maker, all I see is a "Capture From Video Device"
option, which also happens to have a sound control inside it. If you don't have
a video device, then you might not have any options there at all.

There are other ways to capture sound. You could capture sound to a file, then
go to Windows Movie Maker and import the sound file there. The Sound Recorder
is an example of a built-in tool.

Programs : Accessories : Entertainment : Sound Recorder

For Sound Recorder, you'll need to use that SoundMax control panel, to
record from Line-In. Sound Recorder doesn't have its own options for
selecting an input source.

The recording time of the Sound Recorder "toy" is 60 seconds by default.
You can make it longer, but there are tricks.

http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/275654/Windows-Sound-Recorder

If you had an actual Video Device, the "Capture From Video Device" in WMM
may have an option to control the sound input source there. But if you don't
actually have any video capture device, you might not be able to do it
that way. For example, I have a WinTV card, which is why I can use
the "Capture From Video Device" and I can actually see a section of
the dialog in there, that allows selecting the sound source to record
with the video. But if you don't have an actual video device, you might
not be able to get to that dialog.

(Here, you can see that audio options are presented, when a video capture
device is present. And in principle, using the audio section here would
allow a sound recording, and then you could keep just the sound track
when in WMM.)

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/17/Analog_Capture_Using_Dazzle_DVC_80_files/image002.jpg

A tool just for recording sounds, but without the foolishness of Sound Recorder,
is Audacity. But I still find the icons for this intimidating, and the
interface still isn't as friendly as it should be. You need to go to your
SoundMax control panel, and click the "Line-In" button in the Record section,
to control what Audacity records from. (You would do this, *after* Audacity
starts running, as it may flip the settings on you without warning.)

Then, if you go to Microphone shaped icon near the top of the Audacity
window, and right-click on the downward pointing triangle, there is a
"Start Monitoring" option. If you see the level meter showing a signal there,
then you know Audacity is ready to record something. Simply click the
round record button, and the recording will start. When you're finished,
click the stop icon, and export the output in a format that WMM will accept.
Then in WMM, you can import your new audio recording, clip off the sections
you don't want or whatever.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is a full sound editor, so you should really be able to finish
all the prep work on a recording in there. Then use WMM just as a
means to a particular output format.

One useful function in Audacity, is "Effect : Amplifier : Normalize". What
that function does, is allows you to boost the audio level in the fils, to
as high as possible without distortion. But don't abuse that function. If
the original recording is "too weak" or "down in the noise", the recording
should be repeated only with better knob adjustments to get a higher original
recording level. Normalize is convenient, if you wanted to get all the tracks
at the same relative level for example. You can "Normalize to 0dB",
which would be pretty loud, or if necessary, Normalize to some lower
dB value. For example, Normalize to -10dB, gives less volume than 0dB,
so the scale is a negative going one.

HTH,
Paul
From: Doum on
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> �crivait news:uzxABuPJLHA.4756
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> sheana wrote:
>> I am trying to use Windows Movie Maker to convert analog cassettes
>> to .mp3 format. I have WindowsXP, and I need to have the "line in"
>> option enabled in "Sounds & Audio Devices", under the audio tab.
>> The only option I have is my default sound card...a SoundMax
>> Digital Audio. Can you please tell me how to enable the "line in"
>> option? Thanks in advance.
>
> Not really a "Windows XP General" question. More of a "How do i use the
> SoundMax Digital Audio Device I have?" query. ;-)
>
> Have you tried using the SoundMax software?

It can be a Windows question, here's one answer for the OP:

Double-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar (or Right-click|Open Volume
control), Menu Options|Properties

In the Properties dialog box choose Record in the "Adjust volume for"
section and in the list in the same dialog box, check the line-in option
and click OK. The Volume control will change to Recording control and the
line-in slider should appear in the controls.

To return the Windows mixer in its original state, return to
Options|Properties and select "Playback"

I've never used Windows Movie Maker, can you convert sound files with that
program?

HTH
From: alanglloyd on
On Jul 16, 4:22 pm, "sheana" <she...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I am trying to use Windows Movie Maker to convert analog cassettes to .mp3
> format. I have WindowsXP, and I need to have the "line in" option enabled in
> "Sounds & Audio Devices", under the audio tab. The only option I have is my
> default sound card...a SoundMax Digital Audio. Can you please tell me how to
> enable the "line in" option? Thanks in advance.

You're dealing with Windows mixers, which are fairly obscure. Sound
cards generally come with an app which allows mnipulation of the
mixer.

If you're recording input, either from audio or video then Total
Recorder is a first class product, with very good support and upgrade
policy, also quite reasonable priced. It will record to wave or MP3.

Alan Lloyd

From: pjp on
Open the "miser" for the sound card, e.g. double click on the volume icon in
your taskbar. That should bring up a dialog box with the various
input/output' connections the sound card has. Note - diff cards have
slightly different options.

Check under "Recording" controls and indicate it's the Line In you want to
use. Under "Playback" also select the line in. Note their sense of
"Use/Don't Use" may be reversed in the two dialogs. That should route line
in as you want. Use the slider in the sound control dialog to adjust levels
to more or less 0db, e.g. play a small sample and check recording level in
same manner might have done with a tape deck years ago.

Also note (not sure with XP and later) that Recorder comes with Windows is
very limited. Nopt sure now but at one time would only record a minute at a
time so might need some other software which I'm sure witrh Google one can
find for free.

Also note - on my motherboard's sound card, there's only three connections
and if I set card to 5.1 speaker setup, the Mic and Line In connections
become instead additional outputs and there is no mic or Line In options
available then. Hence I disabled onboard sound and bought another card to
use instead.
..