From: goodolpete on
Greeting from England.
Trying to get pensioner connected wirelessly.
When I go into network connections, there is no option
to create a wireless connection either on the lefthand side
tasks, or in the creation wizard.
Any suggestions how can I create a connection please?
From: Don Phillipson on
"goodolpete" <siramictiles(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Greeting from England.
> Trying to get pensioner connected wirelessly.
> When I go into network connections, there is no option
> to create a wireless connection either on the lefthand side
> tasks, or in the creation wizard.
> Any suggestions how can I create a connection please?

Generally, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html seems to
offer the best advice.

Your case suggests the administrator should first
verify all needed /Services have been turned on.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: goodolpete on
On Apr 10, 1:49 pm, "Don Phillipson" <e...(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
> "goodolpete" <siramicti...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Greeting from England.
> > Trying to get pensioner connected wirelessly.
> > When I go into network connections, there is no option
> > to create a wireless connection either on the lefthand side
> > tasks, or in the creation wizard.
> > Any suggestions how can I create a connection please?
>
> Generally,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.htmlseems to
> offer the best advice.
>
> Your case suggests the administrator should first
> verify all needed /Services have been turned on.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Thanks for your reply.
Do you happen to know which services
should be turned on for wireless networking?
From: Lem on
goodolpete wrote:
> On Apr 10, 1:49 pm, "Don Phillipson" <e...(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
>> "goodolpete" <siramicti...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Greeting from England.
>>> Trying to get pensioner connected wirelessly.
>>> When I go into network connections, there is no option
>>> to create a wireless connection either on the lefthand side
>>> tasks, or in the creation wizard.
>>> Any suggestions how can I create a connection please?
>> Generally,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.htmlseems to
>> offer the best advice.
>>
>> Your case suggests the administrator should first
>> verify all needed /Services have been turned on.
>>
>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Do you happen to know which services
> should be turned on for wireless networking?

ezlan.net is indeed a very helpful website.
Here's another:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx
And http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24861/99/

By "creation wizard" do you mean the "Create a new connection" aka the
"New Connection Wizard"? If so, that's the wrong one. You want the
"Wireless Network Setup Wizard," which should be available either in the
"Network Tasks" pane of "My Network Places" or directly from Control Panel.

However, I think setting up a wireless network manually is less
confusing if you ignore the "Wizard," especially considering that many
wireless routers don't have a USB input to accept the parameters
generated by the Wizard anyway.

1. In any case, however, the very first thing is to ensure that there
actually is a wireless adapter in (or attached to) the computer, and
that the device is enabled/turned on.

2. Ensure that the operating system is up to date. In the case of
Windows XP, that means Service Pack 3 and subsequent critical patches.

3. As far as critical services, if you want Windows to control the wifi
adapter (rather than a utility provided by the adapter's mfr.) first
ensure that the mfr. utility is disabled and that the "Wireless Zero
Configuration" service is started and configured to start Automatically.

4. Configure the router. The WAN (Internet) side of the router has to
be connected to the Internet modem (cable or DSL) and properly
configured to log on to the ISP. Typically, this involves entering the
username/password assigned by the ISP. The wireless portion of the
router should be configured with a non-default network name (SSID) that
the user will recognize (not last name or address).

The password used to access the router's configuration utility should be
changed -- but write this down and tape it to the router case. Wireless
encryption should be enabled. If the wireless adapter in the computer
is relatively new, then preferably you should use WPA2. Otherwise, WPA
(AES). Write down the passphrase. You can tape this to the router
also. Do not configure any other "security" measures. In particular, do
*not* disable broadcasting of the SSID.

If the user is in an area heavily populated with other wifi networks,
consider changing the router's wireless channel. Use channel 1, 6, or
11. Given that you are in the UK, you could select from 1, 5, 9, or 13.
You can also configure the router to match the computer's wifi mode
(e.g., G-only or N-only) rather than "mixed."

5. Connecting to the wireless network should simply be a matter of
"Viewing available wireless networks," selecting the recognizable SSID
created in Step 4, clicking Connect, and entering the passphrase.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: