From: AndyHancock on
In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
wireless network ("Second Cup"). Yet five minutes later, I get a
bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected. Is
this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
troubleshooting?
From: Lem on
AndyHancock wrote:
> In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
> wireless network ("Second Cup"). Yet five minutes later, I get a
> bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected. Is
> this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
> troubleshooting?

How did you turn off automatic connection?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: AndyHancock on
On Apr 9, 2:52 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
> AndyHancock wrote:
> > In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
> > wireless network ("Second Cup").  Yet five minutes later, I get a
> > bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected.  Is
> > this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
> > troubleshooting?
>
> How did you turn off automatic connection?

Start->Settings->ControlPanel->NetworkConnections-
From: Lem on
AndyHancock wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2:52 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
>> AndyHancock wrote:
>>> In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
>>> wireless network ("Second Cup"). Yet five minutes later, I get a
>>> bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected. Is
>>> this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
>>> troubleshooting?
>> How did you turn off automatic connection?
>
> Start->Settings->ControlPanel->NetworkConnections-
>> WirelessNetworkConnections->Properties->WirelessNetworks-
>> PreferredNetworks->[network of interest]->Properties->Connectoin-
>> AutomaticConnection.

Well, that's the correct way. Is the check in the box back if you look
at it five minutes later? Also, confirm that the "Use Windows to
configure my wireless network settings" box at the top of the Wireless
Networks tab remains checked.

Do you perhaps have another utility (from the manufacturer of the
wireless adapter) active? Take a look at the running processes using
Task Manager.

You could try removing the network from the list of Preferred Networks,
but it will come back (at the top of the list) the next time you connect
to it.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: AndyHancock on
On Apr 9, 5:21 pm, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
> AndyHancock wrote:
> >> How did you turn off automatic connection?
>
> > Start->Settings->ControlPanel->NetworkConnections-
> >> WirelessNetworkConnections->Properties->WirelessNetworks-
> >> PreferredNetworks->[network of interest]->Properties->Connectoin-
> >> AutomaticConnection.
>
> Well, that's the correct way.  Is the check in the box back if you look
> at it five minutes later?

Yes.

> Also, confirm that the "Use Windows to
> configure my wireless network settings" box at the top of the Wireless
> Networks tab remains checked.

It is checked.

> Do you perhaps have another utility (from the manufacturer of the
> wireless adapter) active? Take a look at the running processes using
> Task Manager.

It's built-in wireless on the laptop. No other wireless utility...no
RF, that is. There's IR, but that's not typically on the same panel.
Also, I generally hear a boing sound effect when it starts working.

> You could try removing the network from the list of Preferred Networks,
> but it will come back (at the top of the list) the next time you connect
> to it.

I think I found the problem, though I'm not 100% sure. I unchecked
the automatic connection, but I didn't actually end the connection
that was established. I will keep an eye on that next time.

Thanks.