From: Amalia on
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition
with SP3.

A couple of days ago I started having problems with the sound. It only works
through headphones, whether from a website, a CD/DVD or a file on the
computer.

Rebooting didn't work. The Dell Diagnostics test (that you access while the
computer boots) worked fine and I could hear sound from the speakers while it
was running. The Device Manager shows no problems or conflicts.

My restore points got deleted so I can't use that function.

Does anyone know what else this could be?
Thank you,
Amalia
From: SC Tom on

"Amalia" <Amalia(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition
> with SP3.
>
> A couple of days ago I started having problems with the sound. It only
> works
> through headphones, whether from a website, a CD/DVD or a file on the
> computer.
>
> Rebooting didn't work. The Dell Diagnostics test (that you access while
> the
> computer boots) worked fine and I could hear sound from the speakers while
> it
> was running. The Device Manager shows no problems or conflicts.
>
> My restore points got deleted so I can't use that function.
>
> Does anyone know what else this could be?
> Thank you,
> Amalia

If you double-click on your volume button, then pick Options, Properties,
what shows in the Mixer Device window? Make sure Playback is selected for
Adjust Volume For.
--
SC Tom

From: shakey on
Any chance you are using this as a desktop and have external speakers, they
usually require power (ac or batts)
SG

From: VanguardLH on
Amalia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition
> with SP3.
>
> A couple of days ago I started having problems with the sound. It only works
> through headphones, whether from a website, a CD/DVD or a file on the
> computer.
>
> Rebooting didn't work. The Dell Diagnostics test (that you access while the
> computer boots) worked fine and I could hear sound from the speakers while it
> was running. The Device Manager shows no problems or conflicts.
>
> My restore points got deleted so I can't use that function.
>
> Does anyone know what else this could be?
> Thank you,
> Amalia

For externally powered speakers:
- Check there is power to the speakers.
- Check the speakers are turned on.
- Check a volume control on the speakers is not at minimum.
- Check a mute control on the speakers is not active.
- Plug the headphones into the same jack as the speakers to test the output.