From: Morgan Ohlson on
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:03:39 -0700, * * Chas wrote:

>| From: "Morgan Ohlson" <morgan.ohlson(a)comhem.se>

>|| For the paying conumer that is not really acceptable. The antivirus
> is an
>|| assurance to have a working pc... reaching the internet for news,
> debate and
>|| as a essential office tool.
>|| A future virus-scanner must... constantly identify almost all
> existing
>|| virus. Only a free scanner can be accepted to perform less then
> "close to
>|| perfect".
>|| Morgan O.
>|
>| No !
>|
>| You put too much emphasis on the software. The most effective and
> powertool is the user !
>|
>| One *must* practice Safe Hex and not just rely on software.
>|
>| --
>| Dave
>
> I've never seen any AV product that gives advice or help to users on how
> to avoid malware problems!

I say it again:

A course in growing crops can't solve an ongoing starvation... But next
time...

A drowning man can naturally be greatful for the advice to take a life
jacket the next time ashore.

Its 2 totally differnt problems, although related... but not more then
related.
# Avoid problems
# Solve a problem that HAVE occured.

Occured problems are solved with quality scanners otherwise they may grow
unnoticed.

Morgan O.
From: Bill Clark on
Art wrote:

> I've not
> complelely lost interest in the old idea of developing means of
> internet communication via alternate OS.

OS/2 is still alive and well and works quite well for this... <g>

--
-bc-

From: Art on
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:23:50 -0000, "Bill Clark"
<curmudgeon(a)senilityis.us> wrote:

>Art wrote:
>
>> I've not
>> complelely lost interest in the old idea of developing means of
>> internet communication via alternate OS.
>
>OS/2 is still alive and well and works quite well for this... <g>

Never looked into it. A primary objective would be that all utils,
etc., would be legit freeware. Seems that's possible now with DOS,
according to some posts I saw recently on alt.comp.freeware.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: Bill Clark on
Art wrote:

> >> I've not
> >> complelely lost interest in the old idea of developing means of
> >> internet communication via alternate OS.

> >OS/2 is still alive and well and works quite well for this... <g>

> Never looked into it. A primary objective would be that all utils,
> etc., would be legit freeware. Seems that's possible now with DOS,
> according to some posts I saw recently on alt.comp.freeware.

While OS/2 is not free, although it can be found on the cheap at ebay etc,
there is a real treasure trove of legit freeware utils for OS/2... If you
have any interest take a look at:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2

Also firebird, mozilla, and thunderbird are current for OS/2

--
-bc-

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5