From: Buffalo on
Check here for some interesting results:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It seems that in the Feb and Aug 05 On-demand comparative, Norton Anti-Virus is
second in detection, just behind Kaspersky.
Those who use the others, and swear by them, should also check out that site.
How the heck did Norton get up so high?
One answer is their latest engine is better. AFAIK, Norton's 2002,3,and 4's
engines don't do as well.
Any other ideas?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid>

| Check here for some interesting results:
| http://www.av-comparatives.org/
|
| It seems that in the Feb and Aug 05 On-demand comparative, Norton Anti-Virus is
| second in detection, just behind Kaspersky.
| Those who use the others, and swear by them, should also check out that site.
| How the heck did Norton get up so high?
| One answer is their latest engine is better. AFAIK, Norton's 2002,3,and 4's
| engines don't do as well.
| Any other ideas?

One must remember "comparitive tests" are only based upon statistical analysis and the test
process. Both can be biased either intentionally or accidentally.

There are; lies, damn lies, statistcs and benchmarks.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Art on
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:44:40 -0600, "Buffalo"
<eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>Check here for some interesting results:
>http://www.av-comparatives.org/
>
>It seems that in the Feb and Aug 05 On-demand comparative, Norton Anti-Virus is
>second in detection, just behind Kaspersky.
>Those who use the others, and swear by them, should also check out that site.
>How the heck did Norton get up so high?
>One answer is their latest engine is better. AFAIK, Norton's 2002,3,and 4's
>engines don't do as well.

I've never used any version of NAV, but I have uploaded many suspect
files to Virus Total and jotti. And I used to use Project VGREP quite
a bit to see what various av products name a malware that KAV alerts
on.

Often, NAV just gives a heuristic "Bloodhound" type of alert. And it
even more often just calls a variety of quite different malware
samples "Trojan Horse".

It would drive me up the wall to have to use such a product :)

Of course, alerting is at least _something_. The ever so popular
AVG far too often just goes "duh" :)

McAfee is another case. Its detection is quite good, but it tends
to produce the same name for many different samples far too often
to suit my tastes.

And F-prot is even worse for this sort of thing ... lumping many
different Trojans into just one kind of report such as "dangerous"
or "suspicious".

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: Buffalo on

> From: "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid>
>
> | Check here for some interesting results:
> | http://www.av-comparatives.org/
> |
> | It seems that in the Feb and Aug 05 On-demand comparative, Norton Anti-Virus
is
> | second in detection, just behind Kaspersky.
> | Those who use the others, and swear by them, should also check out that
site.
> | How the heck did Norton get up so high?
> | One answer is their latest engine is better. AFAIK, Norton's 2002,3,and 4's
> | engines don't do as well.
> | Any other ideas?
> |

> One must remember "comparitive tests" are only based upon statistical analysis
and the test
> process. Both can be biased either intentionally or accidentally.
>
> There are; lies, damn lies, statistcs and benchmarks.

Someone once said, 'If you want favorable answers to your poll, ask the right
questions'.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid>

>> There are; lies, damn lies, statistcs and benchmarks.
|
| Someone once said, 'If you want favorable answers to your poll, ask the right
| questions'.

And there 'ya go -- intruducing bias into a Poll.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

 |  Next  |  Last