From: Outspan on
Hello,

I'm using Debian Etch on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A1655G on
amd64) and I was experiencing problems with the CPU fan, which was
noisy (apparently an AMILO-specific problem) but, most of all, was
always running even when "acpi -t" told me temperature was normal. I
resolved with a "modprobe powernow-k8", which prevents the fan from
running continuously, but it's still very noisy when it does. I
noticed it starts when temperature is above 55 °C and keeps running
until it's reached that point. I was wondering how I could set the
temperature a little higher, around 60 or 65 °C, so that it doesnt run
that often.

thanx

From: Anton Ertl on
Outspan <borghiborghi(a)gmail.com> writes:
>I'm using Debian Etch on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A1655G on
>amd64) and I was experiencing problems with the CPU fan, which was
>noisy (apparently an AMILO-specific problem) but, most of all, was
>always running even when "acpi -t" told me temperature was normal. I
>resolved with a "modprobe powernow-k8", which prevents the fan from
>running continuously, but it's still very noisy when it does.

Note that powernow-k8 only provides the foundation that can be used by
various governors, e.g., cpufreq_ondemand, so you should modprobe the
governor yoi want, too, and then set the governor to that governor,
e.g.:

modprobe powernow-k8
modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
#repeat for other CPUs

I am surprised that you noticed an effect from loading powernow-k8
alone.

>noticed it starts when temperature is above 55 =B0C and keeps running
>until it's reached that point. I was wondering how I could set the
>temperature a little higher, around 60 or 65 =B0C, so that it doesnt run
>that often.

Unless you have done something about it, this is controled by the
BIOS, so you may be able to set the limit temperature there. An
alternative would be to get lm_sensors to run on your machine and then
control the fan with fancontrol.pl (you can find that somewhere on the
web). You may have to set the BIOS not to control the fan (i.e.,
always spin) in order for that to work.

- anton
anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen