From: google-rambo88 on
Hi,
I put ISA card with UART chipset... but It didn't detected by linux
kernel...

When I run 'cat /proc/isapnp' , it don't have anyting about ISA card
with UART.

and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says "isapnp: No Plug & Plug
card found"

I think linux kernel can able to detected ISA card at least even
though it doesn't work...
( I installed Redhat 7.3 )

to detected it, what can I do?

Thanks..

From: Henrik Carlqvist on
"google-rambo88" <rambo88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says "isapnp: No Plug & Plug
> card found"

Did you expect the ISA card to be PnP? Maybe it should be configured with
jumpers instead?

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: google-rambo88 on
I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box...
but it didn't detected ISA card...

( it works well on Windows... but linux )

my ISA card is moxa C104H with 16C550 UART chip...

I have another ISA serial card ... it don't have any jumpers...
Is there another tool or command to detect ISA card?

Thanks .

From: Bill Marcum on
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:31:50 +0900, google-rambo88
<rambo88(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box...
> but it didn't detected ISA card...
>
> ( it works well on Windows... but linux )
3.1, 95 or 98?

> my ISA card is moxa C104H with 16C550 UART chip...
>

> I have another ISA serial card ... it don't have any jumpers...
> Is there another tool or command to detect ISA card?

I haven't seen an ISA serial card with no jumpers. Maybe it is preset
to appear as serial port 0 and/or 1. Does the motherboard have built-in
serial ports, and if so are they disabled in the BIOS? How old is this
motherboard that you would install a dinosaur like RH 7.3? Does it have
PCI slots or only ISA?

--
Store in a cool place.
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
"google-rambo88" <rambo88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box... but
> it didn't detected ISA card...

So you have some jumpers and you know how to set them? Then use those
jumers to select an unused address and an unused irq. I also suppose that
you can see what kind of uart the card has?

If you set your jumpers to address 0x3F8 and irq 4 (known as COM1: in DOS)
you can use setserial with a command something like this to make the port
useful:

setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4

If you choose another address or irq or want to assign the port to
something else than ttyS0 adjust the row above. For more info see:

man setserial

And of course, the Serial-HOWTO

Also make sure that you have a kernel with support for serial ports
compiled in or the right module loaded.

As your kernel does not detect your port it is probably not configured as
above. A kernel with configured with serial port support should find at
least the first two standard COM1: and COM2: at

/dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4
/dev/ttyS1 uart 16450 port 0x2F8 irq 3