From: neil40 on
On 3 May, 17:28, Marshall Barton <marshbar...(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> nei...(a)btinternet.com wrote:

> >> With the league names being semi random, there's not much
> >> use for a Leagues table.  In that case, I guess adding the
> >> rank field to the seasons table is ok.  I don't like the
> >> idea of having to add a rank number for every record, but I
> >> don't readily see an easy way around it either.
>
> >> Seems like with your Rank field, all you have to do is sort
> >> the report on both the season and rank fields.  That makes
> >> the report trivally easy and maybe that's some kind of
> >> compensation for entering all those rank numbers.
>
> >As the rank field only currently exists, as an afterthought to try and
> >make this work, in my tblseasons, what is the best way to get it to my
> >existing report.
>
> >Somehow get it added to the tbltest that is updated as stated via
> >links to other tables and drop downs with after events? Maybe I could
> >add the rank field so that it fills in automatically when the League
> >is selected from tblseasons?
> >Via a query? Re-do the report?
>
> The report's record source query would have to be modified
> to include the rank field and the report would have to be
> modified to add the rank field to its sorting list.  Both
> very simple changes.
>
> Adding the rank values to existing records in the table will
> require a fair amount of manual work, if for no other reason
> than to verify any automatic tricks you try to use.  I think
> I might start by using a series of Update queries similar
> to:
> UPDATE tblseasons
> SET rank = 3
> WHERE leaguename = "baby league"
>
> After a half dozen or so of those, the seasons table should
> be mostly fixed and the remaining changes can be done
> manually without too much work.
>
> In the future, your data entry form clearly would need a way
> to enter the rank value via eiher a text or combo box or
> whatever.  Don't forget to add the rank field to the form's
> record source query so you can the text/combo box bound.
>
> --
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]- Hide quoted text -

Marsh
All now working as planned.
I was able to add a Rank to my target table and fill in missing values
relatiively easily.
I now have an after event in my form that auto fills this when I
select the League from a drop down, changed the sorting to the Rank
field in my report and that's now giving the ouptut I need

Thanks for sticking with this
Much appreciated,
Neil