From: Jason Keats on
Janithor wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Last year, someone sent me a working copy of VB 6.0 from the Sams book
> "Teach Yourself VB in 21 Days". This was enough to get a program that
> my wife wrote in VB 6.0 to run on my XP machine. I bought a laptop with
> Vista Basic last August, and I can't get my wife's program to run.
>
> When I installed VB onto the laptop, it said there are known
> compatibility issues but didn't offer any solutions when I clicked
> "search for solutions". I'm wondering if the problem is that this is a
> light version of VB from a self-help book and not a full copy. VB still
> installs, but when I try to run her program (project?), I get one of 3
> errors:
>
> * error accessing system registry
> * msmask32.ocx couldn't be loaded
> * mswinsck.ocx couldn't be loaded
>
> Any ideas to get this thing running would be most appreciated. I've got
> the program running on my other computer, so it's not super critical,
> but I'm trying to move all my work stuff to the laptop and use the
> desktop for personal stuff.

I don't have Vista, but apparently you have to install it as
administrator (right-click on setup.exe and run as administrator).

Once installed, you may also have to set vb6.exe to run as administrator
- ie, right-click, properties, compatibility. You may also have to
"Disable desktop composition".

http://www.vbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-479511.html

HTH
From: Ralph on

"Janithor" <Janithor(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Last year, someone sent me a working copy of VB 6.0 from the Sams book
> "Teach Yourself VB in 21 Days". This was enough to get a program that
> my wife wrote in VB 6.0 to run on my XP machine. I bought a laptop with
> Vista Basic last August, and I can't get my wife's program to run.
>
> When I installed VB onto the laptop, it said there are known
> compatibility issues but didn't offer any solutions when I clicked
> "search for solutions". I'm wondering if the problem is that this is a
> light version of VB from a self-help book and not a full copy. VB still
> installs, but when I try to run her program (project?), I get one of 3
> errors:
>
> * error accessing system registry
> * msmask32.ocx couldn't be loaded
> * mswinsck.ocx couldn't be loaded
>
> Any ideas to get this thing running would be most appreciated. I've got
> the program running on my other computer, so it's not super critical,
> but I'm trying to move all my work stuff to the laptop and use the
> desktop for personal stuff.

What you have is the Learning Edition. (I didn't know it would compile
programs?)

Anyway, the first error: "error accessing system registry"
Is because you are running in a least prividedged environment on Vista.
(UAC)
Right-click and select run as admin. (Even if logged in as Admin)

The other errors comes from the fact that those components are not included
with Vista and you need to install them. Copying on to machine and register
them. Are you familar with RegSvr32? Registering OCXs?

This may help
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

-ralph

From: Janithor on
x-no-archive: yes

Ralph wrote:
> "Janithor" <Janithor(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>x-no-archive: yes
>>
>>Last year, someone sent me a working copy of VB 6.0 from the Sams book
>>"Teach Yourself VB in 21 Days". This was enough to get a program that
>>my wife wrote in VB 6.0 to run on my XP machine. I bought a laptop with
>>Vista Basic last August, and I can't get my wife's program to run.
>>
>>When I installed VB onto the laptop, it said there are known
>>compatibility issues but didn't offer any solutions when I clicked
>>"search for solutions". I'm wondering if the problem is that this is a
>>light version of VB from a self-help book and not a full copy. VB still
>>installs, but when I try to run her program (project?), I get one of 3
>>errors:
>>
>>* error accessing system registry
>>* msmask32.ocx couldn't be loaded
>>* mswinsck.ocx couldn't be loaded
>>
>>Any ideas to get this thing running would be most appreciated. I've got
>>the program running on my other computer, so it's not super critical,
>>but I'm trying to move all my work stuff to the laptop and use the
>>desktop for personal stuff.
>>

> What you have is the Learning Edition. (I didn't know it would compile
> programs?)
>
> Anyway, the first error: "error accessing system registry"
> Is because you are running in a least prividedged environment on Vista.
> (UAC)
> Right-click and select run as admin. (Even if logged in as Admin)
>
> The other errors comes from the fact that those components are not included
> with Vista and you need to install them. Copying on to machine and register
> them. Are you familar with RegSvr32? Registering OCXs?
>
> This may help
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx
>
> -ralph

Wow, yes, thank you, this got me closer...I think! It feels like I'm a
few clicks away from a solution, but then again maybe it'll take another
weekend of web searches. I don't know how you folks do this for a
living, it can be so frustrating. Then you discover those 2 little
clicks and boom, problem solved. Except it takes all day to figure out
what those 2 little clicks are, it's like you have to find the right
incantation and the right computer gods to appease before you can move
forward.

I copied these files from my XP machine to the laptop, and I figured out
how to register the files on the Vista laptop using regsvr32. Vista
said the files were successfully registered. I then ran VB 6.0 (the
learning edition) as an administrator, and VB loads fine. When I tried
to open the project, it said it can't find msmask32.ocx - the thing is,
it gave a file path that goes into the folder where I keep the VB
project. It appears that it's not looking for msmask32.ocx in
Windows\System32, where I pasted it and then registered it (running
cmd.exe as an admin.)

It feels like there is something in my wife's code that's making VB look
for this file in the wrong place. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I
would think this .ocx file would always be in the Windows\System32
folder? Or would she move it into the folder containing her project? I
tried moving that file into the folder containing the VB project, but
that didn't work. My wife can't help, she had a pretty bad stroke 2
years ago, so her memory on this is really spotty. If I could probe her
brain, I think I could get the fix. The knowledge is in there, she just
can't get it out very easily.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: debugging a vb6 dll