From: jim_nospam_beasley on
Before I start depending on the cloned drive that I just created, I
want to make sure I understand the warning that Ghost 10.0 gave me at
the end of the cloning process:

"Info 60BB0031: Partitions ending past cylinder 1024 may not be
bootable."

I have tried the new partition as my boot drive and it seems to work
fine, but I have not used it long enough to know it will run as
smoothly as the original drive. (I have even successfully booted with
the new drive while having the original drive connected.)

I am using XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2, and most updates (I
think I have a small number of updates to the OS pending, but it's
fairly up to date.)

Drives are formated NTFS. The cloned drive is 400 MB SATA. XP Volume
Properties tool shows 400 MB in the partition after cloning.

I'll have to shut down to check the BIOS, if that's important. But is
there something else I can or should check to verify that the clone is
a good working partition?

Thanks,

From: Mistoffolees on

jim_nospam_beasley(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> Before I start depending on the cloned drive that I just created, I
> want to make sure I understand the warning that Ghost 10.0 gave me at
> the end of the cloning process:
>
> "Info 60BB0031: Partitions ending past cylinder 1024 may not be
> bootable."
>
> I have tried the new partition as my boot drive and it seems to work
> fine, but I have not used it long enough to know it will run as
> smoothly as the original drive. (I have even successfully booted with
> the new drive while having the original drive connected.)
>
> I am using XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2, and most updates (I
> think I have a small number of updates to the OS pending, but it's
> fairly up to date.)
>
> Drives are formated NTFS. The cloned drive is 400 MB SATA. XP Volume
> Properties tool shows 400 MB in the partition after cloning.
>
> I'll have to shut down to check the BIOS, if that's important. But is
> there something else I can or should check to verify that the clone is
> a good working partition?
>
> Thanks,

This is a standard message that specifies that the partition with the
OS needs to be installed within the first 1,024 cylinders of the HD.
One can calculate whether or not this is achieved by working out the
size of the system partition versus the logical cylinder-head-sector
arithmetic of the particular hard drive.
From: Lil' Dave on
<jim_nospam_beasley(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Before I start depending on the cloned drive that I just created, I
> want to make sure I understand the warning that Ghost 10.0 gave me at
> the end of the cloning process:
>
> "Info 60BB0031: Partitions ending past cylinder 1024 may not be
> bootable."
>
> I have tried the new partition as my boot drive and it seems to work
> fine, but I have not used it long enough to know it will run as
> smoothly as the original drive. (I have even successfully booted with
> the new drive while having the original drive connected.)
>
> I am using XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2, and most updates (I
> think I have a small number of updates to the OS pending, but it's
> fairly up to date.)
>
> Drives are formated NTFS. The cloned drive is 400 MB SATA. XP Volume
> Properties tool shows 400 MB in the partition after cloning.
>
> I'll have to shut down to check the BIOS, if that's important. But is
> there something else I can or should check to verify that the clone is
> a good working partition?
>
> Thanks,

This is first a bios function regarding int 13. If the bios can use the
hard disk beyond cylinder 1024, it becomes an OS and partition software
oriented problem.

If the PC's bios is not older than 1998, you're probably good to go. If the
OS is not one of the first two versions of windows 95 or prior, you're okay.
If you're not using a msdos 5.0 or prior fdisk for simple Fat, you're okay
as well.

Ya sure gotta small SATA drive at 400 MB. Even small for just an XP
partition.
Dave

From: jim_nospam_beasley on
On May 19, 8:11 pm, "Lil' Dave" <spamyours...(a)virus.net> wrote:
> <jim_nospam_beas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Before I start depending on the cloned drive that I just created, I
> > want to make sure I understand the warning that Ghost 10.0 gave me at
> > the end of the cloning process:
>
> > "Info 60BB0031: Partitions ending past cylinder 1024 may not be
> > bootable."
>
> > I have tried the new partition as my boot drive and it seems to work
> > fine, but I have not used it long enough to know it will run as
> > smoothly as the original drive. (I have even successfully booted with
> > the new drive while having the original drive connected.)
>
> > I am using XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2, and most updates (I
> > think I have a small number of updates to the OS pending, but it's
> > fairly up to date.)
>
> > Drives are formated NTFS. The cloned drive is 400 MB SATA. XP Volume
> > Properties tool shows 400 MB in the partition after cloning.
>
> > I'll have to shut down to check the BIOS, if that's important. But is
> > there something else I can or should check to verify that the clone is
> > a good working partition?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> This is first a bios function regarding int 13. If the bios can use the
> hard disk beyond cylinder 1024, it becomes an OS and partition software
> oriented problem.
>
> If the PC's bios is not older than 1998, you're probably good to go. If the
> OS is not one of the first two versions of windows 95 or prior, you're okay.
> If you're not using a msdos 5.0 or prior fdisk for simple Fat, you're okay
> as well.
>
> Ya sure gotta small SATA drive at 400 MB. Even small for just an XP
> partition.
> Dave- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Dave. I thought you were being funny, but I mis-typed. Its 400
GB!

From: GHalleck on

jim_nospam_beasley(a)yahoo.com wrote:

<<snipped>>

> Thanks, Dave. I thought you were being funny, but I mis-typed. Its 400
> GB!

It wasn't funny about 10 to 12 years ago when there were HD's of less
than 500 MB and which ran into the Cylinder 1024 problems.