From: Kenneth Scharf on
Anton Ertl wrote:
> Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> writes:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Recently, I upgraded a bunch of Debian packages and installed Kernel
>> v2.6.32-4 (had -3 packages) through apt-get. I rebooted and noticed all
>> my hd* were gone. They were replaced with sd* instead. Some datas:
>>
>> # dmesg
>> [ 1.104125] libata version 3.00 loaded.
>> Is this a bug, by design, or a misconfiguration on my old PC?
>
> This is by design. The libata driver (unlike the old ide driver) acts
> as if everything was a SCSI drive. I don't know why, but that's the
> way it is.
>
> - anton
In my case I'm using SATA hard disks and IDE DVD/CD rom dirves.
Strangely enough, the system finds the SATA hard disks as /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb, while the optical drives show up as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd even
though they are IDE drives 0 and 1. I thought that SATA was implemented
AS SCSI in the kernel and the change from /dev/hdn to /dev/sdn was a
result of SATA not the way IDE was handled. I'm not sure how the BIOS
numbers the drives (IE: IDE or SATA first).

From: Ant on
On 6/6/2010 3:37 PM PT, Kenneth Scharf typed:

> In my case I'm using SATA hard disks and IDE DVD/CD rom dirves.
> Strangely enough, the system finds the SATA hard disks as /dev/sda and
> /dev/sdb, while the optical drives show up as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd even
> though they are IDE drives 0 and 1. I thought that SATA was implemented
> AS SCSI in the kernel and the change from /dev/hdn to /dev/sdn was a
> result of SATA not the way IDE was handled. I'm not sure how the BIOS
> numbers the drives (IE: IDE or SATA first).

How does one tell the differences from real SATA and non-SATA? I liked
hd* and sd* to see the differences. :(
--
"The ants sought personal revenge for my having sprayed them the day
before." --Oliver Smith
From: Ant on
On 6/28/2010 2:37 AM PT, david typed:

>> How does one tell the differences from real SATA and non-SATA? I liked
>> hd* and sd* to see the differences. :(
>
> Ummm... look at the connectors?

Beside opening the computer and looking inside. ;P Didn't all PATA/IDE
use hd* before the changes? That's what I recalled. I might be wrong.
--
"Your parents were killed by ants?" --Idle Hands movie
From: Hadron on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> writes:

> On 6/28/2010 2:37 AM PT, david typed:
>
>>> How does one tell the differences from real SATA and non-SATA? I liked
>>> hd* and sd* to see the differences. :(
>>
>> Ummm... look at the connectors?
>
> Beside opening the computer and looking inside. ;P Didn't all PATA/IDE
> use hd* before the changes? That's what I recalled. I might be wrong.

hdparm -I ?