From: piscesboy on
This is the first time I've tried to set up dual monitors and I am a
bit lost.

Fedora 13 is installed on my MacBook Pro. (Monitor is 15" 1440 x 900
resolution)

Second monitor is a Dell 19" 1280 x 1024 model number 1905 FP flat
panel display.

I tried the display monitor preferences pane to turn on the monitor,
and it detects that it is there, but does not respond to being turned
on.

It may be a driver issue, if so, how do I find out which drivers I
need and then the steps to setting up the monitor to display?
From: Aragorn on
On Sunday 06 June 2010 04:46 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as piscesboy wrote...

> This is the first time I've tried to set up dual monitors and I am a
> bit lost.
>
> Fedora 13 is installed on my MacBook Pro. (Monitor is 15" 1440 x 900
> resolution)
>
> Second monitor is a Dell 19" 1280 x 1024 model number 1905 FP flat
> panel display.
>
> I tried the display monitor preferences pane to turn on the monitor,
> and it detects that it is there, but does not respond to being turned
> on.
>
> It may be a driver issue, if so, how do I find out which drivers I
> need and then the steps to setting up the monitor to display?

I've never known any monitor to require an operating system-level
driver. The problem is most likely due to an "out of sync" situation
on the second monitor. Bad resolution setting for the second monitor,
bad sync rates, bad refresh rates...

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: piscesboy on
On Jun 6, 9:02 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 June 2010 04:46 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>

> identifying as piscesboy wrote...
> > This is the first time I've tried to set up dual monitors and I am a
> > bit lost.
>
> > Fedora 13 is installed on my MacBook Pro. (Monitor is 15" 1440 x 900
> > resolution)
>
> > Second monitor is a Dell 19" 1280 x 1024 model number 1905 FP flat
> > panel display.
>
> > I tried the display monitor preferences pane to turn on the monitor,
> > and it detects that it is there, but does not respond to being turned
> > on.
>
> > It may be a driver issue, if so, how do I find out which drivers I
> > need and then the steps to setting up the monitor to display?
>
> I've never known any monitor to require an operating system-level
> driver.  The problem is most likely due to an "out of sync" situation
> on the second monitor.  Bad resolution setting for the second monitor,
> bad sync rates, bad refresh rates...
>
> --
> *Aragorn*
> (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

I already have the necessary drivers installed for my monitor.

It's an ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card compatible monitor.

I know that the drivers are installed because the second monitor
displays fine (mirrors my laptop screen) when the machine is booting
up, just not when I am logged in as myself in Fedora.

When I fiddled around with the display configuration menu, I got the
error that said Fedora could not generate a configuration for the
second display.

So I decided to try and set one up myself.

I ran (as root) Xorg -configure to try and generate the xorg.conf file
in /etc/Xorg so that I could edit it for running dual monitors.

But doing so generated the following fatal server error:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

Please consult the Fedora Project support
at http://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/
for help.

I don't know what this error means, and would like to know how to get
around this problem.

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 09 June 2010 12:13 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as piscesboy wrote...

> On Jun 6, 9:02 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 06 June 2010 04:46 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as piscesboy wrote...
>>
>> > This is the first time I've tried to set up dual monitors and I am
>> > a bit lost.
>> >
>> > Fedora 13 is installed on my MacBook Pro. (Monitor is 15" 1440 x
>> > 900 resolution)
>> >
>> > Second monitor is a Dell 19" 1280 x 1024 model number 1905 FP flat
>> > panel display.
>> >
>> > I tried the display monitor preferences pane to turn on the
>> > monitor, and it detects that it is there, but does not respond to
>> > being turned on.
>> >
>> > It may be a driver issue, if so, how do I find out which drivers I
>> > need and then the steps to setting up the monitor to display?
>>
>> I've never known any monitor to require an operating system-level
>> driver.  The problem is most likely due to an "out of sync" situation
>> on the second monitor.  Bad resolution setting for the second
>> monitor, bad sync rates, bad refresh rates...
>
> I already have the necessary drivers installed for my monitor.

A monitor does not require drivers. It requires a correct set-up of
whatever is sending a signal to it.

> It's an ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card compatible monitor.
>
> I know that the drivers are installed because the second monitor
> displays fine (mirrors my laptop screen) when the machine is booting
> up, just not when I am logged in as myself in Fedora.

Again, this has nothing to do with any drivers for a monitor, because a
monitor does not require drivers. Your X server does however, of
course.

> When I fiddled around with the display configuration menu, I got the
> error that said Fedora could not generate a configuration for the
> second display.
>
> So I decided to try and set one up myself.
>
> I ran (as root) Xorg -configure to try and generate the xorg.conf file
> in /etc/Xorg so that I could edit it for running dual monitors.
>
> But doing so generated the following fatal server error:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
> If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> and start again.
>
> Please consult the Fedora Project support
> at http://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/
> for help.
>
> I don't know what this error means, and would like to know how to get
> around this problem.

It means what it means, i.e. you have X already running on
the "display" - note: this does not mean "monitor", this
means "viewport" - that you are starting X on again. Either shut down
X on the first viewport - i.e. on "display 0" - or start X on another
viewport, e.g. "display 1".

If you are running your system in runlevel 5 - i.e. with a display
manager active, which offers you a graphical login screen - then you
cannot shut down X in that runlevel, so then you need to switch to
runlevel 3 by calling up a character mode login console - e.g. via
[Ctrl+Alt+F2] - and logging in as root, and then issuing the
command...:

init 3

Then try the command again, or better still, manually
edit "/etc/xorg.conf" - there is a man page with detailed information.

If you don't want to drop out of X on display 0 and you still want to
try that command, use "-- :1" as an argument to start it on another
viewport. You can then switch back and forth between the original X
session and the new one with [Ctrl+Alt+F7] and [Ctrl+Alt+F8].

By the way, you may also want to look at the HowTo for Xinerama, which
might be an easier way to set up two different monitors than what
you're trying to do.