From: RayLopez99 on
Well, I just checked to see if the modem works. It was working (years
ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.

I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc). I'm not an expert on
dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
using the defaults it should have worked.

I had four choices for modem port: ttys0 to s3, corresponding to COM1
to COM4. The tragic part was after I configured on COM port (it's not
a good sign that under "auto recognize" the Control Panel module could
not detect a modem), the Linux OS "locked" the modem apparently, so
trying other COM ports gave the message ("Device ttys1 [COM2, the
first port I tried] is locked by pid1044]. What is a pid? Some
software process that locked something. How do you kill the process?
Read the man page, I know, I know. I guess I'd have to reboot to try
the other ports. But to be honest, I think either the modem died
while the system was in mothballs, or DSL's control panel does not
have the right parameters--though it said "these parameters [the
default] work for Windows 95" so I assume the programmer had some
background on the typical defaults.

To be continued...I wonder if I can pick up a modem card somewhere for
cheap...I'll ask the local computer guy...since it could be the
hardware died while in storage, but that doesn't make much sense
either.

Linux is...pain-ware. The pain, the pain! But all the "fun" is in
the installation I hear you hobbyists say!

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 6, 3:19 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I just checked to see if the modem works.  It was working (years
> ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.
>
> I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
> the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc).  I'm not an expert on
> dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
> using the defaults it should have worked.
>
> I had four choices for modem port:  ttys0 to s3, corresponding to COM1
> to COM4.  The tragic part was after I configured on COM port (it's not
> a good sign that under "auto recognize" the Control Panel module could
> not detect a modem), the Linux OS "locked" the modem apparently, so
> trying other COM ports gave the message ("Device ttys1 [COM2, the
> first port I tried] is locked by pid1044].  What is a pid?  Some
> software process that locked something.  How do you kill the process?
> Read the man page, I know, I know.  I guess I'd have to reboot to try
> the other ports.  But to be honest, I think either the modem died
> while the system was in mothballs, or DSL's control panel does not
> have the right parameters--though it said "these parameters [the
> default] work for Windows 95" so I assume the programmer had some
> background on the typical defaults.
>
> To be continued...I wonder if I can pick up a modem card somewhere for
> cheap...I'll ask the local computer guy...since it could be the
> hardware died while in storage, but that doesn't make much sense
> either.
>
> Linux is...pain-ware.  The pain, the pain!  But all the "fun" is in
> the installation I hear you hobbyists say!
>
> RL

Just thought of something: if I install an Ethernet card in the old
Pentium II, I have an old router, and I then connect the DSL modem
(which only has one port) to the router, will the DSL modem talk to
two computers? Of course, right? That's what a router does...Then I
can connect to the internet with the old pentium via Linux, right?

Let me check my hardware: any advice appreciated.

The DLS modem is a standard "speedtouch" model (French company).

The router [NOT A ROUTER--it's a switch] is actually a switch by
AsusTech found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833320044&Local=y
ASUS GX1005B 10/100Mbps Desktop Unmanaged Switch for Home/SOHO 5 x
RJ45 1K MAC Address Table has a power supply port and five ports.

Stupid question: why are there five ports on the back and not one is
labeled "input"? Do they all function as input/output, meaning the
speedtouch output goes into any of the five ports, then you use your
Ethernet cables from any of the remaining four ports to the two pcs?
If anybody knows off the top of their head let me know please. But
helpfully, there's a CD of the User's Manual (I would have freaked if
this switch had software drivers associated with it!) so I can also
check the User's Manual.

ITEM #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHeck this out... just found this in storage.. (I save stuff and this
was something I bought at a garage sale in the USA...even has a
sticker "US only" (for the power I guess...will have to use a
transformer on it to switch to 220 V).

This is a D-LInk labeled "Ethernet Broadband Router"! No model
number--looks commercial--and has a port labeled "WAN" and four other
ports labeled 1 to 4.

Question for you network gurus: Should I use (and I think the answer
is yes) the D-link "Ethernet Broadband Router" rather than the
AsusTech "Switch"? But the switch has a MAC table in it too, right?
But the D-link, besides being a good company, looks very wickedly
commercial and high tech...what would be the advantage of using the D-
link over the Asustech? Both have MAC and function as routers, right?

Stupid question #2: if I go with the D-Link, I just power it up, plug
the speedtouch DSL modem into the "WAN" port as input, then ethernet
cables from two of the four other ports to my two PCs' ethernet card
ports, right? Then on bootup the PCs should both recognize the DSL
modem, right? And both can independently surf the internet via the
same DLS modem right? (with a performance penalty I assume for sharing
the same bandwidth of course).

Any advice appreciated. This is very cool if I can do this...

RL

From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 6, 3:39 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Background for alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt: DSL also stands for
Damn Small Linux, but here I'm using it for broadband.

I have two PCs that I want to surf the net with: one being the Windows
XP Pentium IV, the other being a Damn Small Linux OS Pentium II.
Right now only the WIndows machine connects to broadband via a direct
connection to the speedtouch DSL modem. I found two pieces of
hardware and am asking if I can use the same modem to service both
PCs, and asking which of the two pieces of hardware--a switch and a
router--is best to do this. I also have the ethernet cables needed
and power supplies for the two pieces of hardware.

Thanks.

RL
From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:
Subject: DSL not recognizing the modem...

While you are just fooling around, why don't you use some tool with
which you are familiar, such as some dos tool which will boot from a cd
and 'analyze' the hardware as suggested earlier. I like some of the
freeware system tools on Hiren's boot disk. It is not necessary to use
any pirate ware found on Hiren's if you don't like.

Then, while you are fooling around, see if the nifty dialup tools on
Puppy 5.0.1 will handle the modem.

Then report back with the analysis of the recognized hardware, modem
chipset - controller/datapump condition, correct ram assay, and any
additional information.

Linmodems also provides a scanmodem tool for troublesome modems.

--
Mike Easter
cols only
From: philo on
On 06/05/2010 07:19 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Well, I just checked to see if the modem works. It was working (years
> ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.
>
> I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
> the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc). I'm not an expert on
> dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
> using the defaults it should have worked.

If possible get an external serial port modem

pretty much a 100% sure guarantee of working.

BTW: why the hell are you on dial up?

when I switched over to DSL it was actually cheaper
as I did not have to pay for a 2nd phone line