From: The Natural Philosopher on
Peter wrote:
> In article <RcGdnYj5S-_NCZHRnZ2dnUVZ8tGdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> nigel.feltham(a)btinternet.com says...
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>>> In article <6f185f76-27a3-4db0-8c21-
>>> 106dd69b7130(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...
>>>>
>>> No, the router would replace the modem and connect directly to the phone
>>> line.
>> Not in this case as from the description it sounds like he has a cable modem
>> (ADSL modems have phone connection labelled 'Line', cable modems have 'WAN'
>> ports) which does need a separate ADSL modem/router connected to the WAN
>> port to work this way (not forgetting to configure the router for
>> user/password and other connection settings).
>>

> Aah, well he did say it was a DSL modem. Guess he was wrong.

No guessing involved. It's a dead cert.
From: David Brown on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Jun 7, 11:57 pm, David Brown
> <david.br...(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no> wrote:
>> We already knew you were masochistic in your determination to use such
>> out-of-date equipment, but I didn't know you were so sadistic that you
>> are trying to impose it on someone else. If this other person wants a
>> usable computer, can't you or they just buy something from this century?
>> Then you can install the latest Linux Mint and be finished before
>> your dinner is out the oven.
>>
>> Old machines like the one you have /do/ have uses as firewalls or light
>> file servers - but not as desktops.
>
> But keep in mind the target user is:
>
> 1) a cheapskate. She has a Pentium II (slightly older than 1997, but
> not by much, and with more RAM, I think 512 MB)

The Pentium II came out in 1997, so it can't be much older than that!

If you are sure about the 512 MB, then you can install a more complete
distro that is much easier to use than the cut-down memory-limited
distros you have been trying. I would recommend something like Lunbuntu
as a Ubuntu variant with a light desktop, but you will probably find
standard Ubuntu works fine as long as you turn off desktop effects (the
effects look nice, but will be very slow on such a machine).

You could also try the LXDE version of Linux Mint. The final version
for Mint 9 is not out yet, but the release candidate is probably fine:

<http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=60>

Mint is like Ubuntu, but with a bit more pre-installed audio and video
codecs, and a greener theme.

Download the image and burn a CD, then try it out as a "live cd".
You've got nothing to lose, and lots to gain.

> 2) wants ONLY to surf the web. She keeps all her docs, etc online at
> Google/Yahoo.
>
> So, for her, this setup is ideal. The only complication: she might not
> want to get ADSL on her phone line (if I can talk her into gettting
> Skype, to save money, she might though). So she presently wants a

Keeping your documents and mail online and accessing them through dialup
is just stupid. Assuming you are write about the 512 MB, then the
machine will be powerful enough to run email programs and office
programs (OpenOffice for a full office suite, or Abiword for something
faster and lighter) locally. It will be /much/ faster than using Google
docs on dialup.

> dialup modem. There is an old external modem lying around my house
> somewhere, so if I can find it, I'll be able to easily set up a dialup
> modem from Damn Small LInux. Internal modems are tricker. That is,
> if I cannot talk her into using ADSL. That is, assuming I get ADSL
> working in Linux, which you and others claim is easy to do. i'll see
> later tonight.

ADSL done right is easy - you have an ADSL firewall/router/modem with
Ethernet output. I gather that's the sort of thing you have. Some ADSL
modems are USB only, which are a little more awkward to get working.

Other than that, the only difficulty with ADSL is if the ISP is silly
enough to use PPoE or PPoA rather than a straight Ethernet connection.
If that's the case, you need to log into your router's web-based
configuration and enter the username and password from your ISP. The
information you get from your ISP should tell you if you need this or not.

Since you have your ADSL router working with windows, you either don't
need such a setup or you have already configured it - but you might have
to be aware of this when setting up a new ADSL modem.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jun 7, 10:41 am, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 6:31 am, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >> Not much of a power user are you?
>
> >> Cant tell the difference between dial up and ADSL or cable and ADSL..or
> >> probably a router, modem or a combination of the above.
>
> >> Its luck for you that Windows was made for idiots.
>
> >> Stick to it.
>
> >> Its right up your street.
>
> > That part is not entirely Mr. Lopez's fault. The mishandling of the
> > word "modem" for both DSL and ISDN and ordinary telephone modems, and
> > the mislabeling of what are ADSL *GATEWAYS* as switches and routers,
> > has led to some nightmarish confusion for anyone trying to sort out
> > help requests..
>
> however no one I know refers to cable or ADSL modems as 'dial up'
>
> I still don't know what he purports to have, he talks about DSL which to
> my knowledge NEVER connected to a serial port, with COM1, etc, which to
> my knowledge are totally inadequate speedwise to run a cable or DSL
> modem even if they  had compatible interfaces.
>
> His best bet  would be either us a dial up modem, or a PCMCIA ethernet
> card and a proper router/modem combo,
>
> If anything he says is true..
>
> It is perfectly reasonable BTW to refer to an ADSL interface as a modem.
> But not as a dial up modem.

He went screwing around with the telephone port "modem" settings and
connections, confused by the name "DSL modem". If he didn't pop up
with the insults now and then, it would be more understandable and
we'd be more tolerant of the mistake. And it is not an unheard of
mistake: many "DSL modems" should actually be called "gateways",
because of their sophisticated network features. So now he's, wisely,
using a hardware "modem".

Most "DSL modems" also support a built-in switch for local
communications, NAT to provide a separate internal, nonroutable IP
address or addresses and an externally routable and pingable IP
address. That external IP address may also be non-routable: that
prevents you from running public web servers and FTP servers without
getting your ISP to connect NAT services from the outside world to
your private machine. So pinging your machine inside your house can be
awkward from outside: that's what addresses like 10.*, and 192.168.*
are used for internally.

Also note. The "Ethernet card" is a PCI card: I thought Mr. Lopez's
machine was a laptop? In any case, "Linux 2.2" drivers are for the
Linux 2.2 kernel. Linux is up to 2.6.33: Damn Small Linux should be
well beyond the 2.2 kernel and the need for add-on drivers, unless the
distribution is very old and small in order to be compatible with the
hardware.

If it's necessary, there should be a "Makefile" and/or compilation
instructions to go with that source code file, and installation
instructions as well. Read those first.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Also note. The "Ethernet card" is a PCI card: I thought Mr. Lopez's
> machine was a laptop?

I think Mr Lopez machine is in fact fictional, and he's just playing the
old 'Bullshit Baffles Brains' game.

I think its a pathological condition. Ray is not the brightest bulb in
the streetlamp, and he desperately wants to be, but if he can't, making
fools of a lot of smarter people is at least a sop to his ego.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 6:30 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> He went screwing around with the telephone port "modem" settings and
> connections, confused by the name "DSL modem".

No. You keep saying that, and I let you continue, but let me now set
you straight. That's NOT what happened. YOU, not I, are confused. I
said "modem for DSL" meaning "Damn Small Linux". Not ADSL. My bad.
Then I explained how the Speedtouch ADSL modem may be a 'gateway'
meaning perhaps a router. It's not actually clear what it is now, but
it's a moot point since I have it working with a Asus switch
downstream of it.

> If it's necessary, there should be a "Makefile" and/or compilation
> instructions to go with that source code file, and installation
> instructions as well. Read those first.

Your friends here are saying that this is unnecessary--just plug the
card in. Do you disagree? Then it shows either you are wrong or your
friends are wrong.

RL