From: The Natural Philosopher on
philo wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 07:19 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
>> Well, I just checked to see if the modem works. It was working (years
>> ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.
>>
>> I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
>> the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc). I'm not an expert on
>> dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
>> using the defaults it should have worked.
>>

> If possible get an external serial port modem
>
> pretty much a 100% sure guarantee of working.
>

> BTW: why the hell are you on dial up?
>
> when I switched over to DSL it was actually cheaper
> as I did not have to pay for a 2nd phone line

I dont think Ray knows the difference between dial up, and ADSL and
between serial ports and USB actually.

I think the point is to create an obfuscated and highly artificial
situation that can be used to prove that 'Linux doesn't work where
windows can'
From: owl on
In comp.os.linux.advocacy RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a D-LInk labeled "Ethernet Broadband Router"!

Are you a grandmother? If not, then you should not be attempting this.

From: Peter on
In article <6f185f76-27a3-4db0-8c21-
106dd69b7130(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...

> Stupid question #2: if I go with the D-Link, I just power it up, plug
> the speedtouch DSL modem into the "WAN" port as input, then ethernet
> cables from two of the four other ports to my two PCs' ethernet card
> ports, right? Then on bootup the PCs should both recognize the DSL
> modem, right? And both can independently surf the internet via the
> same DLS modem right? (with a performance penalty I assume for sharing
> the same bandwidth of course).

No, the router would replace the modem and connect directly to the phone
line.

--
Pete Ives
From: Nigel Feltham on
Peter wrote:

> In article <6f185f76-27a3-4db0-8c21-
> 106dd69b7130(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...
>>
>> Stupid question #2: if I go with the D-Link, I just power it up, plug
>> the speedtouch DSL modem into the "WAN" port as input, then ethernet
>> cables from two of the four other ports to my two PCs' ethernet card
>> ports, right? Then on bootup the PCs should both recognize the DSL
>> modem, right? And both can independently surf the internet via the
>> same DLS modem right? (with a performance penalty I assume for sharing
>> the same bandwidth of course).
>>

> No, the router would replace the modem and connect directly to the phone
> line.

Not in this case as from the description it sounds like he has a cable modem
(ADSL modems have phone connection labelled 'Line', cable modems have 'WAN'
ports) which does need a separate ADSL modem/router connected to the WAN
port to work this way (not forgetting to configure the router for
user/password and other connection settings).
From: Hadron on
Peter <pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> In article <6f185f76-27a3-4db0-8c21-
> 106dd69b7130(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, raylopez88(a)gmail.com says...
>>
>> Stupid question #2: if I go with the D-Link, I just power it up, plug
>> the speedtouch DSL modem into the "WAN" port as input, then ethernet
>> cables from two of the four other ports to my two PCs' ethernet card
>> ports, right? Then on bootup the PCs should both recognize the DSL
>> modem, right? And both can independently surf the internet via the
>> same DLS modem right? (with a performance penalty I assume for sharing
>> the same bandwidth of course).
>>

> No, the router would replace the modem and connect directly to the phone
> line.

Router's do not replace modems.

Unless it's a dsl modem/router combo product.