From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 3:32 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> I suspect in similar vein, the NEED to interpret the world into 'smart
> people buy clever software designed for idiots' is likely to be a
> Southern thing, because there there is tremendous peer pressure to NOT
> be stupid, and black, To be stupid, and white, is almost inconceivable.
> I mean, imagine being white, and stupider than a black man? Wow. That's
> serious denial time.

Off topic racism noted.

Now can you lecture us please more on ATM? Is ATM more secure than
TCP/IP? Is it naturally encrypted?

I'm interested in this topic and you and D. Brown seem to know a wee
bit more than me.

RL

From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 4:38 pm, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Now can you lecture us please more on ATM?  Is ATM more secure than
> TCP/IP?  Is it naturally encrypted?
>
> I'm interested in this topic and you and D. Brown seem to know a wee
> bit more than me.

I mention this because when I signed up with OTE the ADSL provider
here in Greece, the technician mentioned "do you want your data stream
encrypted or unencrypted"? A bizarre question I thought, but I
elected unencrypted since I thought it might be slightly faster (turns
out the service here is atrocious--frequent 2 minute or more bursts of
inactivity from the network--no signal at all).

But if they are using ATM then everything is (or can be) encrypted?
Or is it plaintext? I assumed the internet was always plaintext
except if the URL is https?

RL
From: Aragorn on
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 14:32 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as The Natural Philosopher wrote...

> Aragorn wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 08 June 2010 09:09 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>> identifying as The Natural Philosopher wrote...
>>
>>> I think Mr Lopez machine is in fact fictional, and he's just playing
>>> the old 'Bullshit Baffles Brains' game.
>>>
>>> I think its a pathological condition. Ray is not the brightest bulb
>>> in the streetlamp, and he desperately wants to be, but if he can't,
>>> making fools of a lot of smarter people is at least a sop to his
>>> ego.
>>
>> The basic tenet in every Windroid troll post I've seen over the last
>> decade - and not in the very least during my one and a half year or
>> so on comp.os.linux.advocacy - is always the same. It's basically a
>> mental issue that these people have.
>>
>> Let me iterate some of their commonalities, shared by all Windroid
>> trolls - I'm not going to elaborate on MacIntosh trolls, because I've
>> only ever seen one of them (on comp.os.linux.advocacy) and he clearly
>> had a very distorted view of reality.
>>
>> But so these are my findings...:
>>
>> [1] Virtually every Windroid troll is a rightwinged nutcase who, on a
>> regular basis, displays severe racist comments, to varying
>> degrees from derogatory comments towards or about people of
>> different ethnicity (or nationality) to downright support for the
>> Ku Klux Clan. I even distinctly remember one character from my
>> days on comp.os.linux.advocacy - and I even remember his
>> pseudonym - who even went so far as to state that Afro-Americans
>> are not human beings but instead animals - which he referred to
>> as "beasts".
>>
>> [...]
>> Footnote: "Until recently", because although I still stand by
>> everything I have tried to advocate, there is an incredibly huge
>> amount of bullying towards autism acceptance advocates from the camp
>> of scientifically uninformed people who _believe_ - note: it is their
>> *belief* and not a scientifically verified hypothesis; quite the
>> contrary as it has already been proven false - that autism would be a
>> form of braindamage induced by vaccines - the MMR vaccine, to put a
>> finer point to it. These people actually have their facts backwards,
>> because it is the autism which is already present at birth - and from
>> a lot sooner actually, as it's genetic in nature - which triggers
>> inflammatory reactions to the mercury (and some other agents) in
>> those vaccines, due to the very nature of what autism actually is;
>> it's a basically a pervasive oversensitivity at the neurological
>> level.
>>
>> [...]
>
> Nice one Aragorn.
>
> But autism isn't a disease, [...

You are preaching to the choir, my friend... That's what I've been
trying to tell those people for ages.

> ...] and its probably not even (just) a pervasive over-sensitivity,
> its a different ORDERING of sensory data into different CATEGORIES.

Yes, but that is the result of the oversensitivity. An autistic brain
has literally a magnitude of the amount of neurons in a so-called
neurotypical brain. The brain starts forming more and different neural
pathways compared to a neurotypical brain, and as such, the ordering of
data into different categories is only one of the results of that.

> Whether or not that's a functional step *forward* in evolution depends
> on whether it actually works.

This statement in itself contains a misconception which I will not be
getting into within the scope of this thread (nor anywhere else on
Usenet), but you must not forget that most autistic people have special
talents.

> I suspect in similar vein, the NEED to interpret the world into 'smart
> people buy clever software designed for idiots' is likely to be a
> Southern thing, because there there is tremendous peer pressure to NOT
> be stupid, and black, To be stupid, and white, is almost
> inconceivable. I mean, imagine being white, and stupider than a black
> man? Wow. That's serious denial time.

I'm not sure whether I read you correctly here, and I'm willing to give
you the benefit of the doubt, given my inability to correctly ascertain
your innuendo - I know it's there, but I just don't dig it - but I must
say that that sounds like an awfully racist comment... :-/

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 9:08 pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
[stuff about racism deleted]
> *Aragorn*
> (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

How do you transfer files in Damn Small Linux from CD-ROM to HD?
Using command line and/or using emelfm, the file manager. UPDATE:
figured it out. What a bizarre program. I kid you not, but you have
to use the MIDDLE BUTTON on your mouse and drag and drop. Unreal, but
it works.

Is ATM encrypted by default?

Answers please.

RL

From: William Poaster on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

<crosspost to 'advocacy' snipped>

> philo wrote:
>> On 06/05/2010 07:19 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
>>> Well, I just checked to see if the modem works. It was working (years
>>> ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.
>>>
>>> I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
>>> the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc). I'm not an expert on
>>> dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
>>> using the defaults it should have worked.
>>>

>> If possible get an external serial port modem
>>
>> pretty much a 100% sure guarantee of working.
>>

>> BTW: why the hell are you on dial up?
>>
>> when I switched over to DSL it was actually cheaper
>> as I did not have to pay for a 2nd phone line
>

> I dont think Ray knows the difference between dial up, and ADSL and
> between serial ports and USB actually.
>

> I think the point is to create an obfuscated and highly artificial
> situation that can be used to prove that 'Linux doesn't work where
> windows can'

**BINGO**

And that (IMO) is why the troll is x-posting from cola, because *if* he was
genuine, *why* would he need to x-post to a Linux advocacy group so his
fellow wintrolls could join in.

--
FreeBSD 8.0 64-bit
Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit