From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 7, 4:56 pm, Mike Easter <Mi...(a)ster.invalid> wrote:

> > Anyway, I found in the root shell (still under the D.S.L. GUI) called
> > "PPPoEconf",
>
> Don't go there.

Thanks Mike. Interesting that you know about minefields. I gotta go
exercise, cook dinner, do some programming, then after midnight my
time try this before i retire and report back here.

Tx for the tip.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 7, 5:48 pm, Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-s...(a)plouf.fr.eu.org>
wrote:

> > Trouble now is this:  the manual for the Ethernet card recommends
> > installing the driver first, then inserting the hardware into the PCI
> > slot.
>
> Just ignore this. Any decent distribution should already include the
> driver for this card.

OK, this seems to be the "answer" (I'll try it tonight), but why are
you assuming that Damn Small Linux (dsl 4.2.5) is a "modern" or
"decent" distribution? And the hardware is a Pentium II from 1997 or
so.

Anyway, merci I'll try it tonight and report back.

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 7, 3:08 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> That part is not entirely Mr. Lopez's fault. The mishandling of the
> word "modem" for both DSL and ISDN and ordinary telephone modems, and
> the mislabeling of what are ADSL *GATEWAYS* as switches and routers,
> has led to some nightmarish confusion for anyone trying to sort out
> help requests..

Correct. I even pointed out the term "Gateway" is imprecise in an
earlier post.

RL
From: Mike Easter on
RayLopez99 wrote:

> after midnight my
> time try this before i retire and report back here.

Greece is currently on EEST - UTC +0300
Eastern European Summer Time
3 hours east of the meridian!?

That is 10 hours later than US Pacific Daylight Time (UTC -0700), nearly
halfway around the world, in terms of zones.

You are as many TZs east of me as Kazakhstan is 'west' of me, or said
another way, if you were 2 more TZs east, such as Oman, you would be as
many TZs away as you could be.

--
Mike Easter
From: Pascal Hambourg on
RayLopez99 a �crit :
> On Jun 7, 5:48 pm, Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-s...(a)plouf.fr.eu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Just ignore this. Any decent distribution should already include the
>> driver for this card.
>
> OK, this seems to be the "answer" (I'll try it tonight), but why are
> you assuming that Damn Small Linux (dsl 4.2.5) is a "modern" or
> "decent" distribution?

I wrote "decent", not "modern", because RTL 8139 based ethernet cards
are extremely common so supporting them is desirable for any
general-purpose distribution. It does not have to be modern, that's old
hardware.

> And the hardware is a Pentium II from 1997 or so.

It does not matter. I run recent distributions on similarly aged
hardware (but more RAM).