From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 1:23 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> > Your friends here are saying that this is unnecessary--just plug the
> > card in.  Do you disagree? Then it shows either you are wrong or your
> > friends are wrong.
>
> No it shows you are dumb.
>
> If its source code there will be a make file.
>
> But you should not need source code for a standard driver. It should be
> there.

You are wrong (again). Just tried it--and apparently the ethernet
card is being recognized automatically by Damn Small Linux on boot
(eth0 port). Trouble is, I can't seem to connect to the
internet...rebooting now...

RL
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 8, 2:03 pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:

> So is trolling pathological?  I don't know, really.  Is /bullying/
> pathological?  Or is it all just the dark side of human nature being
> more prominently represented in a few individuals?

> --
> *Aragorn*
> (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

There, there now. Feel better now? Take your meds (if they have them
for autism).

At least you're not a suffer of that disease--forget the name now but
saw an article on it--where the victims insist on devouring their own
flesh and doing other forms of harm to themselves. Be thankful.

Now can you help me debug this Linux problem? Or do you want to
write, like COLA Linux advocate Rex Ballard, another online version of
War & Peace in your next post?

Problem: ethernet card being recognized...but no internet access...I
am rebooting now...

HOLY SHIITE! IT'S WORKING NOW!

You brought me luck Aragon...

Now be gone! :-)

My next post will be from a Linux Firefox browser...

RL
From: The Natural Philosopher on
David Brown wrote:

> ADSL is not ATM based. But some ISPs still like to think of the users
> as though they were dial-up, and thus use PPoE or PPoA encapsulation
> over the ADSL line. It's a stupid idea that wastes bandwidth (about 10%
> of the line capacity) and makes configuration and setup inconvenient,
> but apparently some ISPs like it. Where possible, it is best to pick an
> ISP that gives you a direct Ethernet connection - then installation
> really is a no-brainer.

ADSL is ATM based in the UK, since that is the default backhaul provided
by BT to all the ISP's.

Well lets say it's not BASED, but the overall link to the ISP runs over
native ATM as well as the last mile over ADSL..so its normal to use
PPPoA and have what amounts to an end to end ATM connect from
router/modem to the ISP.

IP being layered over the top of it.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Aragorn wrote:
> [...]
> the majority, and from the pure criteria of diagnostics, something is
> normally not considered to be pathological if it's representative for
> more than half of the species.
>
> To give you an example, I am going to return to the subject of autism
> (which I have already touched upon higher up) here, since I happen to
> be autistic myself and up until recently - see footnote - I have been
> an autism acceptance activist, so I'm quite familiar with it. Now,
> recent genetic studies have prompted several researchers to theorize
> that autism may actually be the next step in the evolution of the human
> genome. Yet autism is still considered a "disorder", and thus
> something of a pathological nature - albeit not psychiatric but rather
> neurological. (I prefer the word "condition" myself over "disorder".)
>
> So is trolling pathological? I don't know, really. Is /bullying/
> pathological? Or is it all just the dark side of human nature being
> more prominently represented in a few individuals?
>
> *****
>
> Footnote: "Until recently", because although I still stand by everything
> I have tried to advocate, there is an incredibly huge amount of
> bullying towards autism acceptance advocates from the camp of
> scientifically uninformed people who _believe_ - note: it is their
> *belief* and not a scientifically verified hypothesis; quite the
> contrary as it has already been proven false - that autism would be a
> form of braindamage induced by vaccines - the MMR vaccine, to put a
> finer point to it. These people actually have their facts backwards,
> because it is the autism which is already present at birth - and from a
> lot sooner actually, as it's genetic in nature - which triggers
> inflammatory reactions to the mercury (and some other agents) in those
> vaccines, due to the very nature of what autism actually is; it's a
> basically a pervasive oversensitivity at the neurological level.
>
> And the irony here is that while most of the Windroid trolls are
> rightwinged - as mentioned in [1] - the people who adhere to
> the "vaccines cause autism"-myth typically come from the leftwinged
> camp, while those who accept autism are actually found in the more
> conservative and typically Christianity-inspired corner.
>
> (Note: I am not religious - spiritual yes, but any form of organized
> religion is slavery and I won't be part of that - and my own political
> orientation would be best described as "somewhat left of center", so
> I'm definitely not a rightwinger either. Besides, as our society gets
> more and more complex, both the radical leftwing and radical rightwing
> respresent deprecated views. But politics is an entirely different
> thing to discuss, and I've already elaborated on that way too much in
> this post as it is, so those interested in debating that subject,
> please tear off the raincheck coupon attached to the bottom of this
> post. :pp Today it's a very sunny day on this side of the Atlantic

Nice one Aragorn.

But autism isn't a disease, and its probably not even (just) a pervasive
over-sensitivity, its a different ORDERING of sensory data into
different CATEGORIES. Whether or not that's a functional step *forward*
in evolution depends on whether it actually works.

I suspect in similar vein, the NEED to interpret the world into 'smart
people buy clever software designed for idiots' is likely to be a
Southern thing, because there there is tremendous peer pressure to NOT
be stupid, and black, To be stupid, and white, is almost inconceivable.
I mean, imagine being white, and stupider than a black man? Wow. That's
serious denial time.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Jun 8, 1:23 pm, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>> Your friends here are saying that this is unnecessary--just plug the
>>> card in. Do you disagree? Then it shows either you are wrong or your
>>> friends are wrong.
>> No it shows you are dumb.
>>
>> If its source code there will be a make file.
>>
>> But you should not need source code for a standard driver. It should be
>> there.
>>

> You are wrong (again). Just tried it--and apparently the ethernet
> card is being recognized automatically by Damn Small Linux on boot
> (eth0 port).

Which is in fact exactly what I said. viz.

"But you should not need source code for a standard driver. It should be
there."

Or perhaps you are so dumb that you didn't realise that 'being
recognized automatically by Damn Small Linux on boot' actually means
that a driver exists already..

Trouble is, I can't seem to connect to the
> internet...rebooting now...

May your DHCP leases all get foreclosed.