From: RichA on
WHO will be the company to release...a COMPACT FF camera??!

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:48:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>WHO will be the company to release...a COMPACT FF camera??!

Leica already did it with the M9. Wikipedia says:

"The Leica M9 is the second digital camera in the rangefinder M
series. It was introduced by Leica Camera AG on 9 September 2009. It
uses a 18.5-megapixel Kodak KAF-18500 Full Frame CCD image sensor."

Next question?

From: Bowser on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 23:30:57 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:48:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>WHO will be the company to release...a COMPACT FF camera??!
>

>Leica already did it with the M9. Wikipedia says:
>
>"The Leica M9 is the second digital camera in the rangefinder M
>series. It was introduced by Leica Camera AG on 9 September 2009. It
>uses a 18.5-megapixel Kodak KAF-18500 Full Frame CCD image sensor."
>
>Next question?

The M9 is hardly compact, really. And it relies on an antiquated
mechanical focusing rangefinder design that has not only seen better
days, but even hard-core Leica shills, like Michael Reichman, calling
for Leica to abandon it in favor of something developed over the last
couple of decades.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see some major
manufacturer introduce a new system with a new mount, kind of like
Sony's NEX cams but with a larger sensor. Not necessarily 35mm sized,
but it would make sense to use that size since you can then tap into
the wealth of lenses already on the market that support that size.
Advances in contrast-detection AF have greatly improved the usability
of such systems, so it seems that one barrier after another is being
eroded, and the days of the mirror box are numbered. As for
rangefinders? Who cares? If some shooters are willing to spend three
times more for a less capable camera, let them.
From: BFD on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:24:25 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2010 23:30:57 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:48:13 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>>
>>>WHO will be the company to release...a COMPACT FF camera??!
>>

>>Leica already did it with the M9. Wikipedia says:
>>
>>"The Leica M9 is the second digital camera in the rangefinder M
>>series. It was introduced by Leica Camera AG on 9 September 2009. It
>>uses a 18.5-megapixel Kodak KAF-18500 Full Frame CCD image sensor."
>>
>>Next question?
>
>The M9 is hardly compact, really. And it relies on an antiquated
>mechanical focusing rangefinder design that has not only seen better
>days, but even hard-core Leica shills, like Michael Reichman, calling
>for Leica to abandon it in favor of something developed over the last
>couple of decades.
>
>I think it's only a matter of time before we see some major
>manufacturer introduce a new system with a new mount, kind of like
>Sony's NEX cams but with a larger sensor. Not necessarily 35mm sized,
>but it would make sense to use that size since you can then tap into
>the wealth of lenses already on the market that support that size.
>Advances in contrast-detection AF have greatly improved the usability
>of such systems, so it seems that one barrier after another is being
>eroded, and the days of the mirror box are numbered. As for
>rangefinders? Who cares? If some shooters are willing to spend three
>times more for a less capable camera, let them.

I still don't understand this ignorant desire to base digital sensors on a
35mm frame size. As if that is somehow the holy-grail of sensor sizes. Even
now, 1/2.5 sensors surpass the dynamic range of 35mm films. As technology
improves even more (as with the recent introduction of inexpensive back-lit
sensors, or technology that hasn't even been dreamed of yet) there is zero
reason to desire a digital sensor with a 35mm film frame size. That is the
desire of a fool.

From: DanP on
On 12 May, 21:48, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> WHO will be the company to release...a COMPACT FF camera??!

What is the point? It would only make sense if they make the lenses
small as well and that affect IQ.

DanP