From: Castor Nageur on
Hi all,

I live in France and just ordered (from eBay) a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner
(for scanning slides) for about $600 which is quite the price of the brand
new item when it was sold in the photo shops.

Today, the scanner is not sold anymore so the only way to get it is to buy
the vintage version.

I do not understand why the vintage version is so and even much expensive
than the initial brand new one.
Today, I saw one which was sold for $1100 ! ($500 more than the brand new).

* Do you have an idea ?
From: Rich on
On May 12, 4:51 pm, Castor Nageur <castor.nag...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I live in France and just ordered (from eBay) a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner
> (for scanning slides) for about $600 which is quite the price of the brand
> new item when it was sold in the photo shops.
>
> Today, the scanner is not sold anymore so the only way to get it is to buy
> the vintage version.
>
> I do not understand why the vintage version is so and even much expensive
> than the initial brand new one.
> Today, I saw one which was sold for $1100 ! ($500 more than the brand new).
>
> * Do you have an idea ?

Get an Epson V750.
From: Gary Edstrom on
On 12 May 2010 20:51:04 GMT, Castor Nageur <castor.nageur(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I live in France and just ordered (from eBay) a Nikon Coolscan V ED scanner
>(for scanning slides) for about $600 which is quite the price of the brand
>new item when it was sold in the photo shops.
>
>Today, the scanner is not sold anymore so the only way to get it is to buy
>the vintage version.
>
>I do not understand why the vintage version is so and even much expensive
>than the initial brand new one.
>Today, I saw one which was sold for $1100 ! ($500 more than the brand new).
>
>* Do you have an idea ?

The short answer:

"The law of supply and demand."

If more people want something than the supply available, the price rises
until the demand drops. There is nothing new about that.

I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
that it only supports the FireWire interface.

Gary
From: nospam on
In article <qu5mu5l55lgvpt5oaerpvt9k6lpbcs4jk8(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom
<GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:

> I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
> have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
> have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
> that it only supports the FireWire interface.

why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.
From: Gary Edstrom on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:14:26 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <qu5mu5l55lgvpt5oaerpvt9k6lpbcs4jk8(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom
><GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:
>
>> I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
>> have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
>> have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
>> that it only supports the FireWire interface.
>
>why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.

Because fewer and fewer new computers are providing FireWire support.
Yes, I know that you can get adapters, but it's nice when the capability
is built-in. Currently, the only computer I have that can talk to it is
a Sony VAIO that I purchased in 2002. None of my 3 newer computers have
the support.

Gary