From: Bruce on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 22:55:52 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <hsfe6o01798(a)news6.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
><jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Well an obvious downside is that not every machine has a Firewire port.
>> Even Apple seems to be in the process of abandoning it.
>
>the only two macs that do not have firewire are the macbook air and the
>entry level macbook. all other macs were recently upgraded to firewire
>800, a strange way of abandoning something.

One of the reasons why I changed to Macs for all my work was the
availability across the range of Firewire. So I was surprised, to say
the least, when J.Clarke suggested that Apple was in the process of
abandoning it.

He couldn't be more wrong.
From: GM1925 on
"GM1925" <abc(a)xyz.co.me> wrote in message
> "Castor Nageur" <castor.nageur(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I live in France and just ordered (from eBay) a Nikon Coolscan V ED
>> scanner
>> (for scanning slides) for about $600 which is quite the price of the
>> brand
>> new item when it was sold in the photo shops.
>>
>> Today, the scanner is not sold anymore so the only way to get it is to
>> buy
>> the vintage version.
>>
>> I do not understand why the vintage version is so and even much expensive
>> than the initial brand new one.
>> Today, I saw one which was sold for $1100 ! ($500 more than the brand
>> new).
>>
>> * Do you have an idea ?
>

> I think it's because the scanner market is stuck in a 2001 time warp. For
> some reason, all the effort has gone into digital camera's and the film
> scanner market has pretty much stood still.
>
> If you think that's expensive, look at the prices of some of the imacon
> scanners. But, despite the price, when I was looking around they were
> still pretty slow for doing a big batches of negs. In fact, I was unable
> to find a fast way of scanning large quantities of negs at high resolution
> with ICE.

Just to add, the technology has been there for a while. Don't forget ILM
had to get the video footage onto their SGI's before adding their 'magic'.
Although, of course they were dealing with big uncut rolls of film and were
possibly scanning at lower resolutions.

Ironically, I knew of a company that used to ship their rolls of film to
France to convert to digital quite a while back. The French company would
process the film, tape the rolls together and batch scan them.

The reality though is that companies would have to be crazy to go through
this process now-a-days, but there are still two distinct markets out there
for film scanners. Consumers who want to convert old film to digital
themselves and businesses who would provide a service to convert the film to
digital for them (but not at astronomical prices).

In both cases, the chances are that the film would have already been cut in
the vast majority of cases. Therefore, the solution would be to develop a
film scanner that is capable of automated loading and scanning 4/6 strips of
negs, whereby you batch load them, press the scan button and let the
scanner/computer do all the work.

From: GM1925 on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> It didn't stop him marketing the iPad. ;-)
>>

>>;-))))) LOL, love it.
>

> You love the iPad?

Na. Liked your reply.

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 12:33:21 +0100, "GM1925" <abc(a)xyz.co.me> wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>;-))))) LOL, love it.
>>

>> You love the iPad?
>

>Na. Liked your reply.

Thanks.

I suppose I could learn to love the iPad, though, if only because of
its sheer pointlessness.

From: nospam on
In article <l8pnu5tqa6eueu3dnhlirjadaukv4m8ht0(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose I could learn to love the iPad, though, if only because of
> its sheer pointlessness.

that must be why it's selling so well, because it's pointless.