From: GM1925 on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The iPad is a trinket. Like jewellery, it serves no useful purpose
>>> except to adorn. Like the brand on an item of clothing, it makes a
>>> statement about the wearer.
>>
>>nonsense.
>>
>>> Style before substance. Cool but fundamentally useless. ;-)
>>
>>maybe to you it's useless but not to the nearly two million (by now)
>>who bought one.
>

> Two million lemmings cannot be wrong, eh?

LOL. There are over a billion smokers. Doesn't make it a particularly
great product..

From: GMAN on
In article <2f7mu5h21ve14lu9m0upbhh5cl46c18816(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:
>On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:14:26 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <qu5mu5l55lgvpt5oaerpvt9k6lpbcs4jk8(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom
>><GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
>>> have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
>>> have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
>>> that it only supports the FireWire interface.
>>
>>why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.
>
>Because fewer and fewer new computers are providing FireWire support.
>Yes, I know that you can get adapters, but it's nice when the capability
>is built-in. Currently, the only computer I have that can talk to it is
>a Sony VAIO that I purchased in 2002. None of my 3 newer computers have
>the support.
>
>Gary
Then you shouldnt have given those PC manufacturers YOUR support!
From: Bruce on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:12:32 +0100, "GM1925" <abc(a)xyz.co.me> wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>nonsense.

>>>maybe to you it's useless but not to the nearly two million (by now)
>>>who bought one.
>>

>> Two million lemmings cannot be wrong, eh?
>

>LOL. There are over a billion smokers. Doesn't make it a particularly
>great product..

4 million people a week buy the National Enquirer. 47 million people
a day buy food from McDonalds.

Popularity is hardly a sign of excellence, is it? ;-)

From: nospam on
In article <mpiou5h4bkflog3jd6qd36kvqi14rjhhl5(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Whereas the iPad is all about being seen with one. Dress to impress!
> It's more a fashion item than something genuinely useful.

do you think the same about the kindle? because the ipad is in many
ways, a kindle on steroids.

> If the iPad was something that other people couldn't see the owner
> using, far fewer people would buy one. It is all about the cool aura
> that they believe goes with owning one.

plenty of people use the ipad at home, on the couch, in bed, in places
where they *can't* be seen.

> It is very clever marketing. Since the earliest Mac days, Apple has
> been very good at making the company's products particularly desirable
> in order to charge premium prices.

nope. in the early mac days, their marketing was horrible.

> Most Apple products are also
> useful, and work well. But occasionally, something comes along from
> Apple that is just as attractive to look at and "play" with as the
> more useful devices, but is basically pointless.

so how do you explain that it's one of the best selling products of any
kind, selling one million units in less than one month? and that it
caused two of its competitors to cancel their tablets *before* they
even shipped?

> Welcome to iPad.

welcome to nonsensical criticisms.

> The photo equivalent is people wanting to be seen with advanced and/or
> expensive equipment, accessories or even software that they have no
> use for and/or are incapable of getting good results from.

nope.
From: Bruce on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 18:02:20 -0700, Mike Russell
<groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:

>Thank Steve's reality warp, which changes reality as well as people's
>perception of it.

Brilliant marketing, as I said.