From: Michael on
On 2010-05-12 17:32:26 -0400, Gary Edstrom said:

> On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:14:26 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <qu5mu5l55lgvpt5oaerpvt9k6lpbcs4jk8(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom
>> <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
>>> have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
>>> have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
>>> that it only supports the FireWire interface.
>>
>> why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.
>
> Because fewer and fewer new computers are providing FireWire support.
> Yes, I know that you can get adapters, but it's nice when the capability
> is built-in. Currently, the only computer I have that can talk to it is
> a Sony VAIO that I purchased in 2002. None of my 3 newer computers have
> the support.
>
> Gary

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the Macs, from entry level laptop,
through the MacBook Pro, the iMac, and the Power Macs, support Firewire
400 and 800.
--
Michael

From: clw on
In article <hsfe6o01798(a)news6.newsguy.com>,
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> On 5/12/2010 5:14 PM, nospam wrote:
> > In article<qu5mu5l55lgvpt5oaerpvt9k6lpbcs4jk8(a)4ax.com>, Gary Edstrom
> > <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have an CoolScan 9000 ED that I purchased in March of 2005. I still
> >> have a use for it, so I am not planning on selling it anytime soon. I
> >> have really liked it. It has done a great job. The only down side is
> >> that it only supports the FireWire interface.
> >
> > why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.
>
> Well an obvious downside is that not every machine has a Firewire port.
> Even Apple seems to be in the process of abandoning it.

Not exactly. I have a new Mac and it supports Fire Wire up to 800 and
with adapters can use FW 400.

Just what do you have replacing FW or even newer USB connections? Even
Steve Jobs knows that he cannot market a new computer with no
connectivity.

Naw, if FW or USB is replaced we will be hearing about its development
years before it becomes the only supported connection. And, I hear
none.
From: krishnananda on
In article <2010051219220910230-adunc79617(a)mypacksnet>,
Michael <adunc79617(a)mypacks.net> wrote:

> On 2010-05-12 17:32:26 -0400, Gary Edstrom said:
>
> > On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:14:26 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> > wrote:

> >> why is firewire a downside? it's faster and more reliable than usb.
> >
> > Because fewer and fewer new computers are providing FireWire support.
> > Yes, I know that you can get adapters, but it's nice when the capability
> > is built-in. Currently, the only computer I have that can talk to it is
> > a Sony VAIO that I purchased in 2002. None of my 3 newer computers have
> > the support.
> >
> > Gary
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the Macs, from entry level laptop,
> through the MacBook Pro, the iMac, and the Power Macs, support Firewire
> 400 and 800.

Firewire 800 ports (400 has been discontinued):
iMac: Yes (1 port)
MacBook: No
MacBook Pro: Yes (1 port)
MacBook Air: No
Mac Mini: Yes (1 port)
Mac Pro: Yes (4 ports)
Xserve: Yes (2 ports)

An adapter allows the use of FW-400 devices but daisy-chaining 400 and
800 devices reduces the speed of the entire bus to 400 speed.

Specs from Apple <http://www.apple.com/>
From: Bruce on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:55:52 -0700, clw <clw(a)ohsu.gov> wrote:

>Even Steve Jobs knows that he cannot market a new computer with no
>connectivity.

It didn't stop him marketing the iPad. ;-)

From: nospam on
In article <hsfe6o01798(a)news6.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Well an obvious downside is that not every machine has a Firewire port.
> Even Apple seems to be in the process of abandoning it.

the only two macs that do not have firewire are the macbook air and the
entry level macbook. all other macs were recently upgraded to firewire
800, a strange way of abandoning something.

they might ultimately replace it with usb 3 or lightpeak, but it's too
soon to call that one.