From: David on
Hi,

I am using a software called CodeBook which is run via an access database.
This database stores information on hospital rooms, and part of this is all
the equipment within each room.

What I am looking for is when a room has no equipment, how do I get access
to place a piece of text on the report sheet saying 'no equipment found in
room'.

Regards,
Dave
From: Jeff Boyce on
Dave

"How" depends on "what" ... more specific descriptions may lead to more
specific suggestions.

However, one possibility is that you could use a query to get the records
you'll want to print for each room, then add an IIF() statement to generate
the "No equipment" message for Null in (?!)some field.

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: David on
Jeff,

Thanks for the information, apologies for the lack of information as new to
some of this.

I have a query where one of the fields is 'cwfCode2' generated from a table
called 'CWT_LIB_Equip_and_Unions'. I have placed this field within the report
which runs fine showing the equipment, but when it comes to a room with no
equipment it reports a blank page.

I tried to use the 'IIf' function in the query which then generates a new
field, but this did not work, and I also tried to use the 'IIf' function in
the report where I placed an expression against the 'cwfCode2' field, but
this did not work either.

The query and the report both run fine, but when I try and tell any empty
rooms (cwfCode2) to report as text, either no text is reported, or no
equipment reports at all in any rooms, as I still require the rooms with
equipment to report correctly.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

From: Armen Stein on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:53:01 -0800, David
<David(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried to use the 'IIf' function in the query which then generates a new
>field, but this did not work, and I also tried to use the 'IIf' function in
>the report where I placed an expression against the 'cwfCode2' field, but
>this did not work either.

It's hard to know from your description what "did not work" means.

In your report's control's controlsource, try something like:

=IIF(IsNull(cwfCode2),"<No equipment found in room>",cwfCode2)

That should work if it really is a Null. If it might be Null or an
empty string, this is more robust and will handle it either way:

=IIF(cwfCode2 & "" = "","<No equipment found in room>",cwfCode2)

Remember that if the report's control is also named cwfCode2, you'll
need to rename it (suggest to txtcwfCode2), otherwise you'll get a
naming error.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com