From: jbdhl on
Where can I find a specification of the Oracle Call Interface (OCI)
protocol?

(And is it correct that most (if not all) APIs, e.g. ODBC, to connect
to an Oracle database ends up sending OCI with to the server?)

Thanks a lot!
From: jbdhl on
> Where can I find a specification of the Oracle Call Interface (OCI)
> protocol?

Actually, what I want to do in the end is to create some kind of pass-
through proxy that can listen and receive OCI, and then forward the
commands to the database (sometimes slightly altered). What is the
best way to do this?
From: joel garry on
On Aug 4, 1:17 pm, jbdhl <jbirksd...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Where can I find a specification of the Oracle Call Interface (OCI)
> > protocol?
>
> Actually, what I want to do in the end is to create some kind of pass-
> through proxy that can listen and receive OCI, and then forward the
> commands to the database (sometimes slightly altered). What is the
> best way to do this?

Have you checked the OCI programmers guide? Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com
and put in Oracle Call Interface. The manuals show you how to do it
and tell you where demo programs are, although there may be some lying
about that in certain versions. You best have support. There is also
an old faq http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/htdocs/oci_faq.html
OTN has a forum: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=67&start=0

This is kind of the hard way to do it though. I work on stuff that
uses that sort of thing, but it's been refined for 20 years by the
vendor and numerous use cases, and suffers from trying to make things
work the same with different databases, and a huge lag time between db
feature introduction and use, if ever. What is your real objective?
If I were starting something from scratch these days, I'd certainly
want to use modern database capabilities.

I'm not a fan of ODBC, anyways, though I can see why others might be
excited about it. Yes, it is a wrapper for OCI.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2010/08/market-data-firm-spots-the-tracks-of-bizarre-robot-traders/60829/
From: jbdhl on
> Have you checked the OCI programmers guide?

Yes, but I haven't been able to find relevant information there. Can
anyone point me to the relevant docs, or elaborate how to solve the
problem?
From: jbdhl on
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to find more information on
this? That is, how to *receive* instead of just *sending* OCI commands
and extract their SQL. Any help would be much appreciated!