From: zigzagdna on
I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i.
On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are
reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release
of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g.
However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data
and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty
pages.
Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has
Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g;
I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not
reported by rman,

Another strange thing I noticed:
1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
blocks.
2. When I do expdp no errors are reported.
So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?

Any insights in above will be appreciated.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:08:15 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:

> Another strange thing I noticed:
> 1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
> blocks.

Export is not a backup.

> 2. When I do expdp no errors are reported. So question is why is exp
> command checking empty blocks?

Because it's doing full table scans. Full table scan stops at HWM, not
before. Also, exp utility is deprecated in 11.2. Do not use it.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Mark D Powell on
On Aug 4, 11:08 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i.
> On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are
> reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release
> of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g.
> However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data
> and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty
> pages.
> Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has
> Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g;
> I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not
> reported by rman,
>
> Another strange thing I noticed:
> 1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
> blocks.
> 2. When I do expdp no errors are reported.
> So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?
>
> Any insights in above will be appreciated.

If the rman backup and expdp are identifying corrupted blocks what
does the following query show?

set echo off
--
-- Display corrupt block information
--

You can find the object idenfified by this query by looking at
dba_extents for the extent that the identified files and blocks are

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: John Hurley on
zigzag:

> I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i.
> On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are
> reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release
> of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g.
> However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data
> and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty
> pages.
> Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has
> Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g;
> I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not
> reported by rman,
>
> Another strange thing I noticed:
> 1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
> blocks.
> 2. When I do expdp no errors are reported.
> So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?
>
> Any insights in above will be appreciated.

I have not seen anything similar in 11.1.0.7 ...

My experience with any block corruption issues has always been storage
related or from unexpected system failures ... in other words shaky
hardware in one form or another.

Any reason you are not patched up to 11.1.0.7.4 ? I have seen some
hpux specific things in the bug lists but not looked closely since we
do not run any databases on hpux any longer.
From: zigzagdna on
On Aug 5, 8:18 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe...(a)hp.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 11:08 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.1 on HP UNIX 11i.
> > On several occasions, I have been seen that block corruptions are
> > reported by rman. I have never seen this problem in previous release
> > of databases; but I have seen it more than once in Oracle 11g.
> > However, when I run dbv command; I do not see any corruption in data
> > and index blocks; so my conclusion is block corruption is in empty
> > pages.
> > Anyone has ideas why block corruption occurs in Oracle 11g. Has
> > Oracle’s algorithm for checking block corruption have changed in 11g;
> > I.e.; these corruptions existed in older Oracle releases but not
> > reported by rman,
>
> > Another strange thing I noticed:
> > 1. When doing export backup, export backup reports about corrupted
> > blocks.
> > 2. When I do expdp no errors are reported.
> > So question is why is exp command checking empty blocks?
>
> > Any insights in above will be appreciated.
>
> If the rman backup and expdp are identifying corrupted blocks what
> does the following query show?
>
> set echo off
> --
> -- Display corrupt block information
> --
> -- 20100105  Mark D Powell   Save 4 future use
> --
> select
>   *
> from
>   v$database_block_corruption
> order by
>   file#
>  ,block#
> /
>
> You can find the object idenfified by this query by looking at
> dba_extents for the extent that the identified files and blocks are
> held within.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

Yes, tis query shows some block corruptions but it does not tell you
corrupted blocks are empty. When I run dbv
it does not show any corruption in data or indexes. So I am assuming
that corruption is in empty pages.