From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 16:51:18 -0700, John Hurley wrote:

> zigzag:
>
> # Soory, don't undestand why do you mean by dump the block.
>
> Try searching with something like google ...
>
> Use words like these "oracle how to dump a data block" ...

The command is:

ALTER SYSTEM DUMP DATAFILE <file_id> BLOCK MIN <min block>
BLOCK MAX <max block>;

On a real OS, one can have rather satisfactory results by doing:

dd if=<data file> bs=8k count=<count>|od -x

If the block size is not 8k, the corresponding value needs to be
substituted into the dd command.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: John Hurley on
Mladen:

> The command is:
>
> ALTER SYSTEM DUMP DATAFILE <file_id> BLOCK MIN <min block>
> BLOCK MAX <max block>;
>
> On a real OS, one can have rather satisfactory results by doing:
>
> dd if=<data file> bs=8k count=<count>|od -x
>
> If the block size is not 8k, the corresponding value needs to be
> substituted into the dd command.

Some people actually take the time to ( on a test system ) introduce
damage and test out their ability to find problems and recover from
them. Shocking eh?

Of course a hex editor can let you introduce just little tiny bits of
corruption ... especially with tools that show one the structure of
the blocks.
From: zigzagdna on
On Aug 7, 5:54 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mladen:
>
> > The command is:
>
> > ALTER SYSTEM DUMP DATAFILE <file_id> BLOCK MIN <min block>
> > BLOCK MAX <max block>;
>
> > On a real OS, one can have rather satisfactory results by doing:
>
> > dd if=<data file> bs=8k count=<count>|od -x
>
> > If the block size is not 8k, the corresponding value needs to be
> > substituted into the dd command.
>
> Some people actually take the time to ( on a test system ) introduce
> damage and test out their ability to find problems and recover from
> them.  Shocking eh?
>
> Of course a hex editor can let you introduce just little tiny bits of
> corruption ... especially with tools that show one the structure of
> the blocks.

Thanks to all for provding your input; very useful. I do know how to
corrupt a blok using dd command. In fact, several years ago when I
took training on Oracle 9i or 10g; one of the classroom exercises was
to corrupt a block and recover it using rman block recover command. I
tried it on my database and I it seems to take same amount of time as
full recover; because it scans entire backup to serach for the blocks
specfied in the block recver command.

I am still at loss why this block corruption is happening; I have seen
it twtice on this system. It is hard to convince UNIX Administartors
that something is wrong in disk or disk controller; I even don't know
how they will find that. All they can do is to replace disks and disk
controllers.