From: Alex on
Hi everyone,

Today I looked into ODS markup for the first time and tried to figure
out whether I could fulfill my current task with ODS tagsets.excelxp.
I read through the help text that I generated with "ods
tagsets.excelxp options ( doc = 'help' ) ;" and my impression is that
I can't fulfill my requirements like this. My alternative to using ODS
would be to create a basic xls workbook without the fancy stuff
described below and then format this using VB.Net or C#. But I would
much prefer to solve this in SAS.

Here's what I need to do:
- Create one Excel workbook containing dozens of sheets, each one
containing the cells from a SAS data set
- Create table of contents sheets for subsets of data sets which
belong together. These special sheets must contain one row per sheet
belonging to the subset, a hyperlink to every sheet of the subset, and
the row count for every sheet. It should look more or less like this:
SHEET_NAME, ROW_COUNT, LINK, ... <more columns>
Sheet1, 25, <Link>, ...<more values>
Sheet2, 13, <Link>, ...<more values>
- One overall toc sheet linking to the several toc sheets for the
subsets
- Every "normal" sheet (not the toc sheets) must contain a header
above the data values which has to span across multiple lines and must
contain a hyperlink to the toc sheet for its subset
- Some columns in the "normal" sheets must be hidden
- several color, formatting and highlighting requirements...

Now how would you guys solve this? Any ideas will greatly be
appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Alex
From: Stephen Dybas on
Alexander,

Sounds like a tall order.

I would start by running a Google search on:

Creating Multi-Sheet Excel Workbooks the Easy Way with SAS

( http://support.sas.com/rnd/papers/sgf07/sgf2007-excel.pdf )

or

You Use SAS®, Your Boss Uses Excel. Guess Where Your Results Are
Going to Appear! Using ODS to Create Your Results in Excel

Steve Dybas

From: Jack Hamilton on
You can do most of that, but in some cases you'll have to create a
sheet yourself instead of having SAS do it for you.

--
Jack Hamilton
jfh(a)alumni.stanford.org

On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:36 am, Alex wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Today I looked into ODS markup for the first time and tried to figure
> out whether I could fulfill my current task with ODS tagsets.excelxp.
> I read through the help text that I generated with "ods
> tagsets.excelxp options ( doc = 'help' ) ;" and my impression is that
> I can't fulfill my requirements like this. My alternative to using ODS
> would be to create a basic xls workbook without the fancy stuff
> described below and then format this using VB.Net or C#. But I would
> much prefer to solve this in SAS.
>
> Here's what I need to do:
> - Create one Excel workbook containing dozens of sheets, each one
> containing the cells from a SAS data set

OK

> - Create table of contents sheets for subsets of data sets which
> belong together. These special sheets must contain one row per sheet
> belonging to the subset, a hyperlink to every sheet of the subset, and
> the row count for every sheet. It should look more or less like this:
> SHEET_NAME, ROW_COUNT, LINK, ... <more columns>
> Sheet1, 25, <Link>, ...<more values>
> Sheet2, 13, <Link>, ...<more values>

This is not clear to me, but you can do that by keeping track of the
contents yourself and putting them into a data set.

> - One overall toc sheet linking to the several toc sheets for the
> subsets

You can do that. It's probably best to do it manually - I've never
been happy with the automatic TOCs.

> - Every "normal" sheet (not the toc sheets) must contain a header
> above the data values which has to span across multiple lines and must
> contain a hyperlink to the toc sheet for its subset

This one might be difficult.

> - Some columns in the "normal" sheets must be hidden

I don't remember whether it works, but you could try setting the
column width to 0.

> - several color, formatting and highlighting requirements...

You can't do everything you could possibly think of, but you can do
quite a bit.

> Now how would you guys solve this? Any ideas will greatly be
> appreciated!

You might want to look at this:

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Creating_Summary_and_Detail_Sections_in_an_Excel_Worksheet_Using_the_ExcelXP_Tagset

It doesn't directly answer your questions, but you might get some ideas.
From: Alex on
On Oct 2, 4:16 am, j...(a)STANFORDALUMNI.ORG (Jack Hamilton) wrote:
> You can do most of that, but in some cases you'll have to create a
> sheet yourself instead of having SAS do it for you.
>
> --
> Jack Hamilton
> j...(a)alumni.stanford.org
> Tots units fem força!
>
> On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:36 am, Alex wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
>
> > Today I looked into ODS markup for the first time and tried to figure
> > out whether I could fulfill my current task with ODS tagsets.excelxp.
> > I read through the help text that I generated with "ods
> > tagsets.excelxp options ( doc = 'help' ) ;" and my impression is that
> > I can't fulfill my requirements like this. My alternative to using ODS
> > would be to create a basic xls workbook without the fancy stuff
> > described below and then format this using VB.Net or C#. But I would
> > much prefer to solve this in SAS.
>
> > Here's what I need to do:
> > - Create one Excel workbook containing dozens of sheets, each one
> > containing the cells from a SAS data set
>
> OK
>
> > - Create table of contents sheets for subsets of data sets which
> > belong together. These special sheets must contain one row per sheet
> > belonging to the subset, a hyperlink to every sheet of the subset, and
> > the row count for every sheet. It should look more or less like this:
> > SHEET_NAME, ROW_COUNT, LINK, ... <more columns>
> > Sheet1, 25, <Link>, ...<more values>
> > Sheet2, 13, <Link>, ...<more values>
>
> This is not clear to me, but you can do that by keeping track of the
> contents yourself and putting them into a data set.
>
> > - One overall toc sheet linking to the several toc sheets for the
> > subsets
>
> You can do that.  It's probably best to do it manually - I've never
> been happy with the automatic TOCs.
>
> > - Every "normal" sheet (not the toc sheets) must contain a header
> > above the data values which has to span across multiple lines and must
> > contain a hyperlink to the toc sheet for its subset
>
> This one might be difficult.
>
> > - Some columns in the "normal" sheets must be hidden
>
> I don't remember whether it works, but you could try setting the
> column width to 0.
>
> > - several color, formatting and highlighting requirements...
>
> You can't do everything you could possibly think of, but you can do
> quite a bit.
>
> > Now how would you guys solve this? Any ideas will greatly be
> > appreciated!
>
> You might want to look at this:
>
>    http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Creating_Summary_and_Detail_Sections...
>
> It doesn't directly answer your questions, but you might get some ideas.

Thanks to Steven, Jack and John for very helpful suggestions! I
managed to achieve practically everything I wanted.
Best,
Alex