From: E on

I realize that I cannot transfer a Windows XP license from a Dell PC to
a different brand or 'white box' PC. And that I cannot replace a failed
motherboard in a Dell PC with an off the shelf motherboard (even if it
works physically) and use the same CD Key/license with the non-Dell
motherboard in there.

But can I replace a failed motherboard in a Dell PC with a Dell
motherboard from a different Dell model, different chip set etc... and
use the same Windows license?

For example: replace failed motherboard in Dell model XYZ-5000 Desktop
PC with motherboard from Dell Model XYZ-7500 Desktop PC, and still use
the Windows CD key associated with the Dell XYZ-5000?

Thanks in advance
Eddie
From: Steve W. on
E wrote:

> I realize that I cannot transfer a Windows XP license from a Dell PC to
> a different brand or 'white box' PC. And that I cannot replace a failed
> motherboard in a Dell PC with an off the shelf motherboard (even if it
> works physically) and use the same CD Key/license with the non-Dell
> motherboard in there.
>
> But can I replace a failed motherboard in a Dell PC with a Dell
> motherboard from a different Dell model, different chip set etc... and
> use the same Windows license?
>
> For example: replace failed motherboard in Dell model XYZ-5000 Desktop
> PC with motherboard from Dell Model XYZ-7500 Desktop PC, and still use
> the Windows CD key associated with the Dell XYZ-5000?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Eddie

Legally? No.
Will it work? Yes.
Would I worry about it. Not really.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
From: Christopher Muto on
E wrote:

> I realize that I cannot transfer a Windows XP license from a Dell PC to
> a different brand or 'white box' PC. And that I cannot replace a failed
> motherboard in a Dell PC with an off the shelf motherboard (even if it
> works physically) and use the same CD Key/license with the non-Dell
> motherboard in there.
>
> But can I replace a failed motherboard in a Dell PC with a Dell
> motherboard from a different Dell model, different chip set etc... and
> use the same Windows license?
>
> For example: replace failed motherboard in Dell model XYZ-5000 Desktop
> PC with motherboard from Dell Model XYZ-7500 Desktop PC, and still use
> the Windows CD key associated with the Dell XYZ-5000?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Eddie

your first sentence may be the correct interpretation of the dell
windows xp license agreement but technically you can indeed install the
dell windows xp software cd on another machine and activate it with the
dell oem windows xp product code.

your second sentence is not correct.
you can most certainly install the dell oem windows xp cd on a non-dell
motherboard and activate with the dell oem windows xp product id. the
difference is that if you installed the dell oem windows xp cd on a dell
motherboard you would not have to activate the software in most cases.
From: E on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> E wrote:
>>
>> I realize that I cannot transfer a Windows XP license from a Dell PC
>> to a different brand or 'white box' PC. And that I cannot replace a
>> failed motherboard in a Dell PC with an off the shelf motherboard
>> (even if it works physically) and use the same CD Key/license with the
>> non-Dell motherboard in there.
>>
>> But can I replace a failed motherboard in a Dell PC with a Dell
>> motherboard from a different Dell model, different chip set etc... and
>> use the same Windows license?
>>
>> For example: replace failed motherboard in Dell model XYZ-5000 Desktop
>> PC with motherboard from Dell Model XYZ-7500 Desktop PC, and still use
>> the Windows CD key associated with the Dell XYZ-5000?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Eddie
>
> your first sentence may be the correct interpretation of the dell
> windows xp license agreement but technically you can indeed install the
> dell windows xp software cd on another machine and activate it with the
> dell oem windows xp product code.
>
> your second sentence is not correct.
> you can most certainly install the dell oem windows xp cd on a non-dell
> motherboard and activate with the dell oem windows xp product id. the
> difference is that if you installed the dell oem windows xp cd on a dell
> motherboard you would not have to activate the software in most cases.

So the Dell OEM Windows XP license can be installed, activated, and
receive updates, with a non-Dell motherboard in there? And it will work
until MS stops supporting XP?

It's just that they don't want you to, but will not try to stop it?

Eddie
From: Christopher Muto on
E wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> E wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize that I cannot transfer a Windows XP license from a Dell PC
>>> to a different brand or 'white box' PC. And that I cannot replace a
>>> failed motherboard in a Dell PC with an off the shelf motherboard
>>> (even if it works physically) and use the same CD Key/license with
>>> the non-Dell motherboard in there.
>>>
>>> But can I replace a failed motherboard in a Dell PC with a Dell
>>> motherboard from a different Dell model, different chip set etc...
>>> and use the same Windows license?
>>>
>>> For example: replace failed motherboard in Dell model XYZ-5000
>>> Desktop PC with motherboard from Dell Model XYZ-7500 Desktop PC, and
>>> still use the Windows CD key associated with the Dell XYZ-5000?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Eddie
>>
>> your first sentence may be the correct interpretation of the dell
>> windows xp license agreement but technically you can indeed install
>> the dell windows xp software cd on another machine and activate it
>> with the dell oem windows xp product code.
>>
>> your second sentence is not correct.
>> you can most certainly install the dell oem windows xp cd on a
>> non-dell motherboard and activate with the dell oem windows xp product
>> id. the difference is that if you installed the dell oem windows xp
>> cd on a dell motherboard you would not have to activate the software
>> in most cases.
>
> So the Dell OEM Windows XP license can be installed, activated, and
> receive updates, with a non-Dell motherboard in there? And it will work
> until MS stops supporting XP?
>
> It's just that they don't want you to, but will not try to stop it?
>
> Eddie

you got two response telling you that technically you can indeed install
the dell oem windows xp cd on any pc that you wish. you will have to
activate it and windows oem cds require windows oem activation codes so
you will need the one that came with the system/cd. the issue of
legality is for you to figure out yourself, but i find it at best
ambiguous what they mean by the license being tied to the machine... is
the machine the processor, the motherboard, the memory, the disk, the
video card... the box?!? and when you switch these components which
component does the windows license follow? if you change every part one
by one because of no other reason than system failure is it the same
machine according to microsoft? i don't think anyone honestly knows,
not even microsoft. there is an adage about george washington's axe
where over the years the head was replaces a couple of times and the
handle four times, yet it is still called george washington's axe.
bottom line is that the only difference between the retail edition of
windows xp with product ccode and the dell oem edition of windows xp
with product code is wording of the license. they function exactly the
same.