From: yirg.kenya on
Yes, it's from 2008. Wonder what took Forrester Research so long to
get the results out. Has Dell improved in the past year or so?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/apple-tops-pc-customer-service-rankings/

When it comes to customer service, PC manufacturers aren’t held with
quite the same contempt as cable companies, health insurers and
Internet service providers –- but they don’t have much to brag about,
either.

Forrester Research’s 2008 customer experience index, a survey of some
4,500 consumers, ranked the PC makers slightly above companies in
those other industries but below such perennial headaches as the
wireless companies, airlines and credit card issuers.

Today, the research firm broke out its specific findings on PC makers,
and the news was good for Apple and bad for everyone else.

Apple notched an 80 percent, or “good” rating, in Forrester’s customer
experience index, which is an average of responses on topics like
whether companies meet customer needs and make products that are easy
and enjoyable to use.

Gateway scored a 66; Hewlett-Packard, a 64; and Compaq (a brand owned
by H.P.), a 63 — scores that Forrester considers “poor” rankings in
the customer experience index.

Dell got a miserly 58 percent, a “very poor” rating.

Bruce Temkin, vice president at Forrester, said the PC industry indeed
bombed in the survey, but the low ratings were mostly driven by
consumers’ views about Microsoft’s Windows ecosystem.

“This is a wake-up call to Microsoft. They have to do a much better
job of working with retailers and orchestrating the experiences that
all their partners have. They need to do a better job of merchandising
with Wal-Mart and Best Buy and invest heavily in retail touch points,”
Mr. Temkin said.

Microsoft, in fact, is exploring the idea of opening its own stores
precisely for this reason.

As for Dell’s poor rating, Mr. Temkin says the PC maker is going
through an identity crisis. “You know, they pushed the envelope on
supply chain efficiencies and they lost track of their customer along
the way. I see them trying to attack their service interactions and
take care of their quality problems,” he said.
From: Daddy on
yirg.kenya wrote:
> Yes, it's from 2008. Wonder what took Forrester Research so long to
> get the results out. Has Dell improved in the past year or so?
>
> <snip>

Flamer alert.

Daddy
From: Lucky on

"Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> yirg.kenya wrote:
>> Yes, it's from 2008. Wonder what took Forrester Research so long to
>> get the results out. Has Dell improved in the past year or so?
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Flamer alert.
>
> Daddy

Not from my experience. I still have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that
don't work properly.
I have been promised new software for them since I received them with my new
Inspiron laptop. Still nothing.
Inquiries get nowhere. Nothing but excuses..

Lucky

From: Ben Myers on
On 5/20/2010 1:18 PM, Lucky wrote:

> "Daddy" <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> yirg.kenya wrote:
>>> Yes, it's from 2008. Wonder what took Forrester Research so long to
>>> get the results out. Has Dell improved in the past year or so?
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Flamer alert.
>>
>> Daddy
>
> Not from my experience. I still have a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard that
> don't work properly.
> I have been promised new software for them since I received them with my
> new Inspiron laptop. Still nothing.
> Inquiries get nowhere. Nothing but excuses..
>
> Lucky

No matter which name brand company you deal with, the consumer gets
shafted. Why? It's easy for a company to deal with or ignore consumers
one at a time. The tune changes when the CIO of a major corporation or
govt agency calls Michael Dell or Mark Hurd (HP) and says that 10000
computers will be on the loading dock for return in 24 hours unless
thus-and-such problem gets resolved. So Dell scores lower than HPaq or
Gateway. No big deal. They are all pretty awful, just like the cable
companies, phone companies, and most any company that sells anything to
consumers... Ben Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
yirg.kenya wrote:
> Yes, it's from 2008. Wonder what took Forrester Research so long to
> get the results out. Has Dell improved in the past year or so?

> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/apple-tops-pc-customer-service-rankings/
>
> When it comes to customer service, PC manufacturers aren�t held with
> quite the same contempt as cable companies, health insurers and
> Internet service providers �- but they don�t have much to brag about,
> either.
>
> Forrester Research�s 2008 customer experience index, a survey of some
> 4,500 consumers, ranked the PC makers slightly above companies in
> those other industries but below such perennial headaches as the
> wireless companies, airlines and credit card issuers.
>
> Today, the research firm broke out its specific findings on PC makers,
> and the news was good for Apple and bad for everyone else.
>
> Apple notched an 80 percent, or �good� rating, in Forrester�s customer
> experience index, which is an average of responses on topics like
> whether companies meet customer needs and make products that are easy
> and enjoyable to use.
>
> Gateway scored a 66; Hewlett-Packard, a 64; and Compaq (a brand owned
> by H.P.), a 63 � scores that Forrester considers �poor� rankings in
> the customer experience index.
>
> Dell got a miserly 58 percent, a �very poor� rating.
>
> Bruce Temkin, vice president at Forrester, said the PC industry indeed
> bombed in the survey, but the low ratings were mostly driven by
> consumers� views about Microsoft�s Windows ecosystem.
>
> �This is a wake-up call to Microsoft. They have to do a much better
> job of working with retailers and orchestrating the experiences that
> all their partners have. They need to do a better job of merchandising
> with Wal-Mart and Best Buy and invest heavily in retail touch points,�
> Mr. Temkin said.
>
> Microsoft, in fact, is exploring the idea of opening its own stores
> precisely for this reason.
>
> As for Dell�s poor rating, Mr. Temkin says the PC maker is going
> through an identity crisis. �You know, they pushed the envelope on
> supply chain efficiencies and they lost track of their customer along
> the way. I see them trying to attack their service interactions and
> take care of their quality problems,� he said.

it didn't take a long time for that research to become public. looks
like you didn't notice that the article you are referring to was
published over a year ago (april 17, 2009 to be exact reporting on
information collected in october 2008). and the 'very poor' rating for
dell as opposed to 'poor' rating for hp and compaq is just arbitrary.
both rating are pathetically low and in my opinion both are 'very poor'.
it is not like there is a big spread between the last place and second
place slots. hp 64, compaq 63, dell 58 are all a simple 'f' in the eyes
of a school teacher, an a consumer. sure there was a time when dell was
the top of this garbage heap of customer support, but even then their
service was not much better than the lot (the inverse of this report).
you have to time warp back to the 80's or 90's when computers had a
profit margin to recall what good customer service was, and what it was
like to talk to an actual thinking english speaking person rather than a
english as a second language person that is required to read to you from
a script. apple is significantly better than the lot but they are still
pretty bad. fortunately most problems are mundane enough that they get
solved using the script type problem resolution procedures. but when a
unusual problem comes along apple, hp, compaq, and dell all fall flat on
their faces.