From: paul3200 on
my Acer Aspire One completely screwed up and i had to do a clean install will
i be able to use the Windows XP Home key with the clean install or do i have
to buy a new key?
From: XP Guy on
paul3200 wrote:

> my Acer Aspire One completely screwed up and i had to do a clean
> install will i be able to use the Windows XP Home key with the
> clean install or do i have to buy a new key?

Your original product key will work fine - as long as your haven't had
to re-validate your system during the past 120 days.
From: Andy on
even if that happens you can call Microsoft on the phone and activate it
over the phone .

From: Zaphod Beeblebrox on

"XP Guy" <XP(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> paul3200 wrote:
>
>> my Acer Aspire One completely screwed up and i had to do a clean
>> install will i be able to use the Windows XP Home key with the
>> clean install or do i have to buy a new key?
>
> Your original product key will work fine - as long as your haven't
> had
> to re-validate your system during the past 120 days.

As long as the hardware hasn't changed, it shouldn't matter how
recently the system was last re-validated. The hardware hash Windows
uses to decide if it is the same machine will be the same, so
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

From: XP Guy on
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> > Your original product key will work fine - as long as your
> > haven't had to re-validate your system during the past 120 days.
>
> As long as the hardware hasn't changed, it shouldn't matter how
> recently the system was last re-validated. The hardware hash
> Windows uses to decide if it is the same machine will be the
> same, so shouldn't be a problem.

Not true.

When XP is installed on a system for the first time, using a given
product key, it would have no memory or awareness if the user had to
re-validate a previous installation which used the same product key.

But Microsoft and their validation server will know when the last time
that any given product key was used to perform a validation (or
re-validation), and they set the rules such that a system validation
with the same product key can't happen any sooner than every 120 days.