From: Alexandro Colorado on
What I feel like is that there is the mistake to think that a netbook
is an internet appliance, but further from this. Basically Ubuntu is
replacing free and open source software for non-free web applications.

Telling people to just use Google Docs, is basically replacing
applications from free to closed that might not work at all. Have you
ever tried to open a complex document on google docs, with headers,
index and cross reference. Or even images... it end up becoming a big
mess.

Ipad push the idea of using a netbook as an internet appliance but in
reality, a netbook is more like a second computer for on-the road. You
still need the full functionality of a desktop system.

Personally I use OOo for presentations, I will definetly not use
Google Docs for that, presentations in cloud systems are a real mess.
I would probably recomend users to skip Ubuntu from now on, I never
really liked this distro to start with.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Espa&ntilde;ol

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Alexandro Colorado on
On 2/9/10, Lars Nooden <larsnooden(a)openoffice.org> wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> No... it's a "whiteboard" for discussion: ... the result of which
>> will most likely affect the April 2010 release of Lucid UNE.
>
> Thanks. It was unclear the scope of the discussion and what affect it
> would have.
>
>> ... but "optimized" for the small screen:
>> http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr
>
> UNR is, in principle, a good idea. The devil is in the details.
> 4 GB is on the edge of morbidly obese for a netbook distro.
>
> I haven't looked at Gnumeric in 5 years, it's gotten a stigma lately
> and does not support ODF. It used to compare favorably to StarOffice,
> before OOo. ODF support is must-have and it may be that OOo is the only
> current option. Though there's been a lot of improvement to Koffice.

I dissagree, KOffice is a much better alternative than Gnumerics -
Abiword by far. Most of the ODF roundups KOffice came out really
strong on adjusting to the standard. Much more advanced than Symphony,
RedOffice and other apps.