From: Lars Nooden on
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> What I feel like is that there is the mistake to think that a netbook
> is an internet appliance, but further from this.

I strongly agree. In part it is isolated from the net because wireless
and 3G are less than ubiquitous even in many towns, hotels, etc.
Connectivity certainly cannot be relied upon when traveling. Even
regular land-lines are not able to deliver the advertised rates.

However, there is convergence in the phones and netbooks.

Essential background information for any netbook debate would be to know
the availability of wireless / 3G connections and the percentage of the
population it is available to. By available, I mean actually there and
able to use it, not a theoretical or vendor-specific or
subscriber-specific lockin. Also relevant are bandwidth caps.

> Basically Ubuntu is replacing free and open source software for
> non-free applications.

There. Fixed that for you. ;) However, open or closed, Google Docs is
not up for any real work with ODF documents.

> ... in reality, a netbook is more like a second computer for on-the
> road. You still need the full functionality of a desktop system.

Or a notebook. I'd bring up Ian's comment about phones. I also see
convergence. The specs from my 2008 phone are in some ways better than
my 2007 netbook. Where they differ is battery life, screen size and one
has a keyboard plus ethernet and sd sockets. Now how much of that
becomes useful in the future depends on the competency and intentions of
the manufacturers...

Regards
/Lars

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Lars Nooden on
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> I haven't looked at Gnumeric in 5 years, it's gotten a stigma lately
>> and does not support ODF. It used to compare favorably to StarOffice,
>> before OOo. ODF support is must-have and it may be that OOo is the only
>> current option. Though there's been a lot of improvement to Koffice.
>
> I dissagree, KOffice is a much better alternative than Gnumerics -

That's what I was getting at: KOffice has improved a lot. What was
missing was a statement that it was already rather good.
It's OOo's main complementary suite.