From: Lars Nooden on
NoOp wrote:

> Don't rely on scuttle-but, instead just follow along and/or comment at:
> <https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-lucid-une-applications>

That is the feedback and discussion for UNR. Where is the actual list
of applications? Or is that it?

Regards
/Lars

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Lars Nooden on
NoOp wrote:

> No... it's a "whiteboard" for discussion: ... the result of which
> will most likely affect the April 2010 release of Lucid UNE.

Thanks. It was unclear the scope of the discussion and what affect it
would have.

> ... but "optimized" for the small screen:
> http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

UNR is, in principle, a good idea. The devil is in the details.
4 GB is on the edge of morbidly obese for a netbook distro.

I haven't looked at Gnumeric in 5 years, it's gotten a stigma lately
and does not support ODF. It used to compare favorably to StarOffice,
before OOo. ODF support is must-have and it may be that OOo is the only
current option. Though there's been a lot of improvement to Koffice.

From: Lars Nooden on
NoOp wrote:

> Yes. There's currently decent import support for OpenDocument. We also
> recommend Rich Text format as the best way to share documents with other
> Word Processing software.
>
> But the last line sentence is... just plain... argh.
>
> http://www.abisource.com/release-notes/2.8.0.phtml

To paraphrase the above, 'work on supporting the format has begun, but
no ETA for a workable implementation.'

Not really 'export' support. Nor good 'import' It's a start, but if a
nebulous cluster of undocumented formats known as RTF are recommended,
then there are serious issues with the support.

By support, I mean that you can happily and easily use the application
to create and edit ODF files. Ideally it should do it so well that
swapping odf files with OOo and Koffice can be done with the same level
of concern that one gives audio or graphics.