From: Chris Davies on
R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote:
> So I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on this machine (I run Debian), copied it all
> across and tried it.

> Ubuntu 9.10 installs Openoffice 3 which is *apallingly* slow.

Before I start, this is NOT intended as an Ubuntu vs Debian flame.

A colleague runs Ubuntu with OpenOffice 3.x. On this platform OO is also
desperately slow (and it's a seriously powerful "desktop" system). On
the other hand I run Debian-ish with OO 3.x on a Centrino Duo based
laptop and OO flies. I don't tend to use macros in OO Calc (maybe the
occasional one), but I do use fairly complex chained formulae at times.

I don't think it's OpenOffice itself, but more of the environment used
by the different distributions. For example, we've found that applications
such as VMWare and Flash don't exactly help. (KVM feels less invasive than
VMWare. We're going to try running the VMWare disk image on KVM next.)

Chris
From: Darren Davison on
On 2010-01-19, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
> A colleague runs Ubuntu with OpenOffice 3.x. On this platform OO is also
> desperately slow (and it's a seriously powerful "desktop" system). On
> the other hand I run Debian-ish with OO 3.x on a Centrino Duo based
> laptop and OO flies. I don't tend to use macros in OO Calc (maybe the
> occasional one), but I do use fairly complex chained formulae at times.

I run more or less stock-standard Ubuntu 9.10 on a desktop at home and
my work laptop. I use OOo more frequently on the work laptop, but a
little at home too. A number of colleagues also use it under Ubuntu 9.x
on various types of machine. I have no problem with performance at all,
UNLESS the laptop has been suspended/resumed. This seems to drag OOo to
an absolute crawl until the app is closed and restarted fresh (don't see
this behaviour in any other app after suspend/resume though).

So I certainly doubt it's anything to do with Ubuntu.

--
darren@ public key
davisononline.org 0xE855B3EA
From: Tony van der Hoff on
Darren Davison wrote:
> On 2010-01-19, Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
>> A colleague runs Ubuntu with OpenOffice 3.x. On this platform OO is also
>> desperately slow (and it's a seriously powerful "desktop" system). On
>> the other hand I run Debian-ish with OO 3.x on a Centrino Duo based
>> laptop and OO flies. I don't tend to use macros in OO Calc (maybe the
>> occasional one), but I do use fairly complex chained formulae at times.
>
> I run more or less stock-standard Ubuntu 9.10 on a desktop at home and
> my work laptop. I use OOo more frequently on the work laptop, but a
> little at home too. A number of colleagues also use it under Ubuntu 9.x
> on various types of machine. I have no problem with performance at all,
> UNLESS the laptop has been suspended/resumed. This seems to drag OOo to
> an absolute crawl until the app is closed and restarted fresh (don't see
> this behaviour in any other app after suspend/resume though).
>
> So I certainly doubt it's anything to do with Ubuntu.

I've seen similar problems with XMLMind under Karmic after a suspend,
when it too, becomes extremely sluggish until restarted. This doesn't
happen under Lenny.

This application is not packaged with either OS (it's not FOSS), but it
too, relies on Java. My guess would be that the culprit is the Java
runtime packaged with Karmic.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |
From: Chris Davies on
Darren Davison <nntp(a)davisononline.org> wrote:
> I have no problem with performance at all, UNLESS the laptop has been
> suspended/resumed. This seems to drag OOo to an absolute crawl until
> the app is closed and restarted fresh

I'm not the original poster, but I'll suggest this to my colleague;
thanks for the tip.

Chris
From: chris on
On 19/01/10 09:00, chris wrote:
> On 18/01/10 23:46, R. Georgeson wrote:

>> Do you get the progress bar when you
>> type a value into a cell that's referenced in a couple of other cells and
>> how long does it take? A little over a second here, if I try I can type
>> single digit values into 3 adjacent cells while the first progress bar is
>> still chuntering.
>
> Nope. It's virtually instantaneous. The only time I see that progress
> bar is during saves or when I'm modifying data cells which are
> referenced in large plots.

I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 32bit in virtual box and without adding any
new packages I tried OOo. It works very smoothly here with no delay
whatsoever in editing cells referenced by other formulae.

If you like, I could try your macro on this install.