From: Robin H on
Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a given
group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-01-18, Robin H <robinh(a)anon.anon> wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a given
> group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?

Can the version of Pan you seem to be using, not manage that? The
'stable' version 0.14.2 can, I'm sure. You might have to edit a score
file manually.

Slrn can of course, and I expect Gnus and Tin can too. Indeed, it might
be easier to list the newsreaders that can't ...

The main trick is to use the Xref header, not the Newsgroups header; the
latter is 'expensive' as that header is not part of the standard
'overview' file on the news-server. Note that the Xref header sent from
the server may only list newsgroups that are carried by that server.

The best group for advice about newsreaders is news.software.readers.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Robin H on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:03:38 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2010-01-18, Robin H <robinh(a)anon.anon> wrote:
>> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a
>> given group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?
>
> Can the version of Pan you seem to be using, not manage that? The
> 'stable' version 0.14.2 can, I'm sure. You might have to edit a score
> file manually.
>
> Slrn can of course, and I expect Gnus and Tin can too. Indeed, it might
> be easier to list the newsreaders that can't ...
>
> The main trick is to use the Xref header, not the Newsgroups header; the
> latter is 'expensive' as that header is not part of the standard
> 'overview' file on the news-server. Note that the Xref header sent from
> the server may only list newsgroups that are carried by that server.
>
> The best group for advice about newsreaders is news.software.readers.

OK, thanks. I had another look at Pan's scoring and although the scoring
features seem somewhat restrictive, I now realize that I can set it to
kill crossposts to 4 or more groups, and that seems to work well here.
From: paul on
Robin H <robinh(a)anon.anon> writes:

> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a given
> group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?

gnus.
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-01-18, Robin H <robinh(a)anon.anon> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:03:38 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> OK, thanks. I had another look at Pan's scoring and although the scoring
> features seem somewhat restrictive, I now realize that I can set it to
> kill crossposts to 4 or more groups, and that seems to work well here.

That setting should tidy up a good many newsgroups!

--
-- Whiskers