From: Andy Botterill on
paul(a)rudin.co.uk wrote:
> Robin H <robinh(a)anon.anon> writes:
>
>> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a given
>> group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?
>
> gnus.
Is there anything similar in Thunderbird? I can kill on specific e-mail
addresses. If they morph then it won't work but it's not the same? Andy
From: Nigel Wade on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:41:25 +0000, Paul Martin wrote:

> In article <hj1vnd$1g4$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
> Robin H wrote:
>> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a
>> given group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?
>
> slrn
>

> [uk.comp.os.linux]
> Score: =-9999
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport\.helpdesk

That match doesn't work for me in Pan. It seems it only matches the first
newsgroup in the list. If 24hoursupport is not first in the list the
match fails. And the documentation for the Score file in Pan is rather
limited. Xref does appear to work on any group in the Xref list, but most
of the idiot posts don't have an Xref to that group.

--
Nigel Wade
From: Whiskers on
On 2010-01-19, Nigel Wade <nmw(a)ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:41:25 +0000, Paul Martin wrote:

[...]

> That match doesn't work for me in Pan. It seems it only matches the first
> newsgroup in the list. If 24hoursupport is not first in the list the
> match fails. And the documentation for the Score file in Pan is rather
> limited.

The format of Pan scorefile entries isn't quite the same as those used by
slrn and Xnews. I'm afraid I forget the differences.

> Xref does appear to work on any group in the Xref list, but most
> of the idiot posts don't have an Xref to that group.

That suggests that the server you are reading from doesn't carry 24HS.HD
and doesn't generate a truly 'full' Xref header.

If you use Leafnode as a local caching proxy news-server, you can have a
line in /etc/leafnode/config that says

create_all_links = 1

which forces Leafnode to make an Xref header that includes all the groups
listed in the Newsgroups header. Your newsreader(s) can then filter or
score on the Xref header.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Dave Gibson on
Nigel Wade <nmw(a)ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:41:25 +0000, Paul Martin wrote:
>
>> In article <hj1vnd$1g4$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
>> Robin H wrote:
>>> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a
>>> given group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?
>>
>> slrn
>>

>> [uk.comp.os.linux]
>> Score: =-9999
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport\.helpdesk
>
> That match doesn't work for me in Pan. It seems it only matches the first
> newsgroup in the list. If 24hoursupport is not first in the list the
> match fails.

Insert ".*" to skip over leading newsgroup names.

Newsgroups: .*24hoursupport\.helpdesk
From: Moe Trin on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup uk.comp.os.linux, in article
<hj3sc9$48i$1(a)south.jnrs.ja.net>, Nigel Wade wrote:

>Paul Martin wrote:

>> Robin H wrote:

>>> Can anybody recommend a newsreader that will kill crossposts from a
>>> given group -- 24hoursupport.helpdesk, say?

>> slrn

>> [uk.comp.os.linux]
>> Score: =-9999
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport\.helpdesk

As noted by others, that's expensive scoring, requiring the news reader
to ask for that header for every article in the '[uk.comp.os.linux]'
group.

>That match doesn't work for me in Pan. It seems it only matches the
>first newsgroup in the list. If 24hoursupport is not first in the
>list the match fails. And the documentation for the Score file in Pan
>is rather limited.

news.software.readers Discussing software for reading network news (Usenet).

though I'm not sure how much it would help. You may want to consider
a different news reader. Hmmm... does adding a wild-card fix it?

Newsgroups: .*24hoursupport\.helpdesk

(I don't think it works in slrn, but the original score does.)

>Xref does appear to work on any group in the Xref list, but most
>of the idiot posts don't have an Xref to that group.

Most probable reason is that the news server you are reading from
doesn't carry the '24hoursupport.helpdesk' newsgroup, and therefore
has no need to create an Xref entry for a group that (as far as it
is concerned) doesn't exist. See RFC1036 section 2.2.13 and RFC5536
section 3.2.14.

Old guy