From: Alberto Frosi on
On 10 Mar, 15:02, Johne_uk <edg...(a)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 13:48, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:07:48 -0800, Johne_uk wrote:
> > > Essentially something is killing the LGWR process and the instance is
> > > shutting itself down. I think the way ahead is to try and find out what
> > > is killing this process but I'm not sure how to go about this and
> > > worried that any logging may degrade server performance.
>
> > > Can anybody offer any suggestions ?
>
> > Let me see whether I understood you correctly: Oracle support is trying
> > to fix your issue for weeks, they presumably have all the trace files,
> > core files and RDA output but are unable to determine the exact cause of
> > the problem despite having all this information and you are asking us to
> > guess what the problem is without even knowing the version of the RDBMS
> > and Solaris? No problem, I can do that. The answer to your problem is the
> > number 42.
>
> Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
> killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
> the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
> comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.

It's very strange behaviour from Oracle support, after send a trace,
log file and more and more, they don't tell anything...for me are very
busy with Sun's fusion or with your trimarano BMW Oracle in New
Zeland.
Version solaris?
From: Eugene Pokopac on
Here's "something" to start with:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/23468/2/

Please check that the DB is patched and updated with all the latest
patches (one-off as well as cpu patch).

Best of luck in your debugging efforts.

Regards

Eugene Pokopac (Oracle DBA - Tucker, GA)
From: Charles Hooper on
On Mar 10, 9:02 am, Johne_uk <edg...(a)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
> killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
> the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
> comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.

If you have access to Oracle support (as you stated), you should be
able to review the following Metalink documents:
Doc ID 1022782.6 - ORA-447, ORA-470 Found in PMON Trace File, Database
Crashed
Doc ID 431246.1 - Pmon terminated instance due to LGWR termination
ORA-470
Doc ID 874832.1 - LNS: Standby redo logfile ,DB Crash
Doc ID 745198.1 - RAC DATABASE HANGS WHEN RMAN IS STARTED
Doc ID 1029808.6 - BACKGROUND PROCESS DIES, NO TRACE FILE GENERATED
Doc ID 564830.1 - ORA-00470 Error Creating 20GB Tablespace
Doc ID 1016959.102 - HP-UX: DB CRASH. ALERT LOG SHOWS NO ERRORS, BUT
TRC FILES CREATED.

Some of the documents are specific to other operating systems, but may
provide you with clues that will help resolve the problem. One of the
articles mentioned that the problem could be caused by a slow file
system. Several of the articles indicated that the error may be
caused by exceeding the operating system limit for the maximum number
of open files.

Charles Hooper
Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration
from the Oak Table"
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:02:33 -0800, joel garry wrote:

> Performance of a crashed instance is always the worst degradation.

I beg to differ. If the database crashes, all your queries finish
instantly. I would even suggest that database crash is the ultimate thing
in application tuning.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:02:42 -0800, Johne_uk wrote:

> Thanks for the
> comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.

It didn't. I'm the fastest typist in the west.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com