From: Johne_uk on
Hi,

I am currently running two Oracle 10G instances from a single Solaris
M4000 server. Every few days one of the instances crashes with the
following error and has to be restarted.

ORA-00470: LGWR process terminated with error
PMON: terminating instance due to error 470

I have spend weeks running various trace files etc with Oracle support
and they are basically clueless as to what is the cause. They are
saying it is a Solaris OS issue but surely this would affect both
instances and not just one.

Essentially something is killing the LGWR process and the instance is
shutting itself down. I think the way ahead is to try and find out
what is killing this process but I'm not sure how to go about this and
worried that any logging may degrade server performance.

Can anybody offer any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
John
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:07:48 -0800, Johne_uk wrote:

> Essentially something is killing the LGWR process and the instance is
> shutting itself down. I think the way ahead is to try and find out what
> is killing this process but I'm not sure how to go about this and
> worried that any logging may degrade server performance.
>
> Can anybody offer any suggestions ?

Let me see whether I understood you correctly: Oracle support is trying
to fix your issue for weeks, they presumably have all the trace files,
core files and RDA output but are unable to determine the exact cause of
the problem despite having all this information and you are asking us to
guess what the problem is without even knowing the version of the RDBMS
and Solaris? No problem, I can do that. The answer to your problem is the
number 42.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: Johne_uk on
On 10 Mar, 13:48, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:07:48 -0800, Johne_uk wrote:
> > Essentially something is killing the LGWR process and the instance is
> > shutting itself down. I think the way ahead is to try and find out what
> > is killing this process but I'm not sure how to go about this and
> > worried that any logging may degrade server performance.
>
> > Can anybody offer any suggestions ?
>
> Let me see whether I understood you correctly: Oracle support is trying
> to fix your issue for weeks, they presumably have all the trace files,
> core files and RDA output but are unable to determine the exact cause of
> the problem despite having all this information and you are asking us to
> guess what the problem is without even knowing the version of the RDBMS
> and Solaris? No problem, I can do that. The answer to your problem is the
> number 42.

Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.
From: ddf on
On Mar 10, 9:02 am, Johne_uk <edg...(a)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 13:48, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:07:48 -0800, Johne_uk wrote:
> > > Essentially something is killing the LGWR process and the instance is
> > > shutting itself down. I think the way ahead is to try and find out what
> > > is killing this process but I'm not sure how to go about this and
> > > worried that any logging may degrade server performance.
>
> > > Can anybody offer any suggestions ?
>
> > Let me see whether I understood you correctly: Oracle support is trying
> > to fix your issue for weeks, they presumably have all the trace files,
> > core files and RDA output but are unable to determine the exact cause of
> > the problem despite having all this information and you are asking us to
> > guess what the problem is without even knowing the version of the RDBMS
> > and Solaris? No problem, I can do that. The answer to your problem is the
> > number 42.
>
> Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
> killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
> the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
> comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.- Hide quoted text -

I understand you are looking for assistance however you failed to
provide sufficient information in your vague problem description to
allow anyone to help. Yes, the LGWR process is dying; is it
accompanied by an ORA-07445 error? Is there any indication in the
resulting trace files that Solaris is at fault? Which release of
Oracle are you running? Yes, I know, you blurted out the wonderful
marketing speak of 10g but that umbrella covers two major releases
plus 8 patch levels with major changes between the two so please do us
a favor and take the time and effort to post that information to 4 or
5 numbers (10.1.0.4, 10.2.0.3, etc.). Also post the version of
Solaris this database is running on, including the curent patch level
(a uname -a can provide that information). As noted in a previous
post you've supplied far more information to Oracle and they,
apparently, can't solve the problem; why would you even think that
giving us such sketchy details would allow us to magically provide an
answer that Oracle (who has far more data than we do) cannot?

This is a help forum, not a carnival sideshow; we cannot pull answers
out of nothing more than thin air and thin air, really, is all you've
provided us. You have no right to complain regarding the response
first given you since you ambiguously described your problem and
expected detailed assistance to be forthcoming.

Supply much more information and you may find better help with your
issue.

David Fitzjarrell
From: Johne_uk on
On 10 Mar, 14:45, ddf <orat...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 9:02 am, Johne_uk <edg...(a)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Let me see whether I understood you correctly: Oracle support is trying
> > > to fix your issue for weeks, they presumably have all the trace files,
> > > core files and RDA output but are unable to determine the exact cause of
> > > the problem despite having all this information and you are asking us to
> > > guess what the problem is without even knowing the version of the RDBMS
> > > and Solaris? No problem, I can do that. The answer to your problem is the
> > > number 42.
>
> > Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
> > killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
> > the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
> > comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.- Hide quoted text -

> I understand you are looking for assistance however you failed to
> provide sufficient information in your vague problem description to
> allow anyone to help.  Yes, the LGWR process is dying; is it
> accompanied by an ORA-07445 error?  Is there any indication in the
> resulting trace files that Solaris is at fault?  Which release of
> Oracle are you running?  Yes, I know, you blurted out the wonderful
> marketing speak of 10g but that umbrella covers two major releases
> plus 8 patch levels with major changes between the two so please do us
> a favor and take the time and effort to post that information to 4 or
> 5 numbers (10.1.0.4, 10.2.0.3, etc.).  Also post the version of
> Solaris this database is running on, including the curent patch level
> (a uname -a can provide that information).  As noted in a previous
> post you've supplied far more information to Oracle and they,
> apparently, can't solve the problem; why would you even think that
> giving us such sketchy details would allow us to magically provide an
> answer that Oracle (who has far more data than we do) cannot?
>
> This is a help forum, not a carnival sideshow; we cannot pull answers
> out of nothing more than thin air and thin air, really, is all you've
> provided us.  You have no right to complain regarding the response
> first given you since you ambiguously described your problem and
> expected detailed assistance to be forthcoming.
>
> Supply much more information and you may find better help with your
> issue.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Understood David I will follow up with more information
cheers